Wiring Harness Woes

-

69CudaFan

Reaction score
So long story short, I had to do some repair to my wiring harness under the dash. Took everything out, got the repair taken care of. Start hooking eveything back up, and think we are good to go....no instrument lights, no driving lights or tails.

Check, fuse is blown. No bueno. Start messing with spaghetti again, working from the passenger side back to the dash. Replaced headlight switch due to worn rheostat. Triple check wires and fusebox with multimeter, all seems good. Check lights, we have dash lights, tails and directionals. No issues. Everything is good and checked a few times...

Move on to work the ashtray light, lighter, courtesy light, glove box and passenger side door switch. Get it all hooked up (or so I think), no courtesy light. Check the bulb at the battery, it is dead. Go get a GE 89. Check it at the battery, it works. Put in the socket, no light, lots of probing iwth a multimeter....back to popping fuses, no dash directionals and tails, and ran out of patience for the evening.

I am puzzled. Interior lights under rear seat are good, door buzzers are good. It is like when I get beyond the ashtray something goes cuckoo. The only things over there are the glovebox, ashtray light, lighter and courtesy light...the wiring diagram in the FSM does not make mention of the courtesy lamp, unless I am missing something (it is not switched like the map lamp). I do know that Ma Mopar put about an extra five feet of wiring over there. I checked the bridge at the door switch, it functions as it should...do I have something backwards, or what am I doing wrong?

See if these help simplify it. You can turn the layers of circuits off you do not want to see.

So long story short, I had to do some repair to my wiring harness under the dash. Took everything out, got the repair taken care of. Start hooking eveything back up, and think we are good to go....no instrument lights, no driving lights or tails.

Check, fuse is blown. No bueno. Start messing with spaghetti again, working from the passenger side back to the dash. Replaced headlight switch due to worn rheostat. Triple check wires and fusebox with multimeter, all seems good. Check lights, we have dash lights, tails and directionals. No issues. Everything is good and checked a few times...

Move on to work the ashtray light, lighter, courtesy light, glove box and passenger side door switch. Get it all hooked up (or so I think), no courtesy light. Check the bulb at the battery, it is dead. Go get a GE 89. Check it at the battery, it works. Put in the socket, no light, lots of probing iwth a multimeter....back to popping fuses, no dash directionals and tails, and ran out of patience for the evening.

I am puzzled. Interior lights under rear seat are good, door buzzers are good. It is like when I get beyond the ashtray something goes cuckoo. The only things over there are the glovebox, ashtray light, lighter and courtesy light...the wiring diagram in the FSM does not make mention of the courtesy lamp, unless I am missing something (it is not switched like the map lamp). I do know that Ma Mopar put about an extra five feet of wiring over there. I checked the bridge at the door switch, it functions as it should...do I have something backwards, or what am I doing wrong?

What are you working on? Make/Year/Model?

My 1969 Barracuda convertible. 340, Auto. A01 Light group.

I have poured over the wiring diagram, but seem to be missing something. I know that the lighter has 12V, and I know that the bridge at the passenger buzzer works. I am just puzzled as to why I had lights, then when I move over to deal with the "easy" side, now I pop fuses and have no dash, parking, or tail lights.

It is a mystery, rolled in a conundrum and tied up with an enigma! Perhaps I was too tired last night to see it. I decided to sleep on it, and ask the masses

Thanks for the PDFs as well! I will look those over and hope to figure out what I am missing!

Its pretty straight foward. Domes, pocket and trunk get +12 from pink wires from the fuse block (dome lamp fuse).

The Map, glove and ignition light get +12 from the fused lighter (X1-16R)feed off of pink pigtails.

Dash (instrument), ash tray and console get +12 from the instrument fuse (orange wires).

Glove box lamp can melt fairly easily and cause a short.

Yellows are ground circuits from door switchs.

Or just do like I did- bite the bullet and order a new one from Year One. Could not afford it, but it was the best money I ever spent on my Dart

Re-read your last post and sure sounds like the something is a miss with the headlight switch if you lost tail and park now.

Or just do like I did- bite the bullet and order a new one from Year One. Could not afford it, but it was the best money I ever spent on my Dart

67dart273 where you been on this one? Usually you are first in line to help.

1968dartman. - The M&H harness is excellent. Bad thing is they or no else sells the accessory harness that many of these cars have. I started with their base harness then had repair my accessory harness due to the unavailability. There are pieces of NOS stuff that help to make a new one but not a complete harness. Depending on the options several different harnesses were made by the factory.

-
Back