Wiring Harness

-
P

Problem Child

Looking for a under hood harness for my 76 Swinger 318 car. Heard this was better than trying to figure out TPO butcher job. Also heard I may can get one that plugs into firewall and runs where it needs to go. True or not? Would like to know where to get the easist to install and the cheapest . Thanks for the help.

Easy to install and cheap are oxymorons, but if you want a plug and play engine harness ,I would go to Year One or Evanswiring. You can get most every harness for the car. The engine harness cost about $150.00 - $200.00 depending on whether you include the front light harness ,but it`s assuredly money well spent. HTH.

You can also go through a place calles American Autowire. I believe that they make the harness also. Their # is (800) 482-9473.

Painless Wiring has plug-in wiring harnesses, but they are kind of expensive there

Evens and Yearone only sell harness for 74 and earlier. You may need to redo yours.

Thanks for the help guys. The 74 cut off seems to be a problem,,,,,always a brides maid, and never a 69 Hemi Dart.

AdamR said:
Evens and Yearone only sell harness for 74 and earlier. You may need to redo yours.
There`s probably little difference between the 74 and 76, perhaps more provisions for pollution control connections on the 76. If you`re not doing an exact restoration ,you might call YearOne or Evans and talk to one of their techs about retrofitting the 74 harness. I really don`t think there could be that much (if anything) involved. Anyway ,let us know what you find out.

I would call Evans and ask. He makes them himself and could give you some advice better then someone at YO who likely has no clue.

I E-Mailed Evans, and he said he had never done a 76. Also they started using pins in seventy six instead of the kind of plug in's they had been using. No Joy!

And just so you know Painless doesn't make a directreplacment harness for any of the mopar's yet. It is possibly in the works for the near future but not yet. Oh and I know about it as I am Tech. support here at Painless. I have mentioned us building an A-body harness. So we'll see what happens with that. The only thing about it is the harness would have the updated ATC fuses instead of the glass fuses used in all of our cars. I would like to hear every one's input on this. Opinions welcome but don't get into arguements. I would like to hear what everyone has to say to help with the building of our harnesses.

if it has correct connectors for the components and a bulkhead connector that fits, the ATC fuse issue is nothing.

There would have to be a very minor mod on the fire wall for the bulk head connector but every thing else would be there. The only people that can build a harness with the factory bulk head are the ones that bought the tooling to build it that way. If noone buys it right at the time that the factory is done with it Chrysler throws them in the dumpster never to be seen again. That is why we have such a hard time finding stuff for our Mopars now.

BJS racing said:
And just so you know Painless doesn't make a direct replacment harness for any of the mopar's yet... It would have the updated ATC fuses instead of the glass fuses used in all of our cars. I would like to hear every one's input on this.

If you're not looking for a restoration product, I would recommend the Painless harnesses. I rewired a friend's '73 Dodge Powerwagon with one and it was time consuming, but pretty straight forward.

A Mopar specific product would be nice (I would buy one for my Barracuda) as we had to get the generic kit, so the instructions were equally generic. A factory wiring diagram helps. A lot!

It also didn't have a diode that was needed, which I was eventually able to find (and, BJR, the tech support guys gave me some leads on sources! :thumbup: ), but if designed for a Mopar, would hopefully be included.

My input would be, please build it! Use of the ATC fuses is fine with me, I'm upgrading the brakes, engine, axle, etc., upgrading the wiring is just another step on that path.

Jay

-
Back