wiring help

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am trying to find key on 12v power? I have a probe light which a clamp to the negative battery post. With the key on, I am probing the two small terminals on the starter relay and nothing lights? I am probing the two field terminals on the alternator and nothing lights. The only way I get a light is to touch the positive battery post. LOL. SO, seeing that the car has had a new total ignition switch and turn signal switch installed, and being I installed an MSD box with an MSD ready to run distributor and also did the amp meter bypass, where the heck do I begin to look to chase the power sources? I eliminated the electronic box and a wrapped wires together on the 4 post ceramic block to discontinue it? Anybody want to take a stab at why I can't find key on 12v sources??

1....What the heck we workin on? Year, make model

2....Other than the ammeter bypass and MSD is the wiring "factory?"

ORIGINALLY there is ONLY ONE ignition "run" wire coming out of the bulkhead. That is the wire which feeds (among other things..........)

A..The ignition box power

B..The ballast resistor IE both jumpered terminals at one end One section of the ballast then goes to the coil, the other then goes to the ignition box

C..The blue field wire of the alternator

D..The blue "ign" wire of the voltage regulator

E..electric choke if equipped.

F..Distributor retard solenoid or idle speed solenoid if equipped.

So review "whut you did" when connecting the MSD

ADDITIONALLY when you use an ignition system which eliminates the ballast, you must jumper the brown bypass wire to the "ignition run." This is because the "run" wire goes dead during cranking.

That wire is the brown, comes from the ignition switch, through the bulkhead connector, and goes to the coil + side of the ballast resistor.

YOU NEED a factory service manual, and maybe a wiring diagram. Go over to MyMopar and download them, free. Some of those manuals came from the guys here at FABO

-
Back