Wiring help

-

RedStorm

Reaction score
I'm re-wiring the engine bay of my '71 Duster with harnesses i bought from YearOne. I have looked at three separate wiring diagrams and, while they are consistent with each other, do not match my car. For example, this diagram (http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1971/71ValiantA.JPG) shows the yellow starter relay wire going through the forward light harness and the green/red horn wire going through the engine harness. Luckily i saved my old harnesses and noticed that the opposite is true for my car (i.e. the starter relay wire is connected to the engine harness and the horn wire is in the forward light harness). I was wondering if anyone else has run into this and if there is an alternate wiring diagram out there that can help me.

Thanks,
RS

I've noticed that the wiring diagrams for the old mopars are a little odd to say the least ( year to year differences and such and like this one that is different than most of the other 72 diagrams) how about this pic... it shows the relay wire routing through the engine connector ( bottom left side is the battery and the starter relay) . The pic is a little small but if you save them and magnify or PM me your email I'll zip them up and send them to you.. the diagram is for a 72...With that being said, I'd say wire it up the way the new harness is. Did you get the whole harness ( dash, engine, lighting, etc..)

scan6-270002 (Small).jpg

the difference is in the location of the horns and that relay. When the horns and relay were mounted right front the wire ran with the engine harness and right past the altenater. When the horns moved to under the battery the wire moved to the light harness. You decided where you want the horns and relay then wire accordingly.

I've noticed that the wiring diagrams for the old mopars are a little odd to say the least ( year to year differences and such and like this one that is different than most of the other 72 diagrams) how about this pic... it shows the relay wire routing through the engine connector ( bottom left side is the battery and the starter relay) . The pic is a little small but if you save them and magnify or PM me your email I'll zip them up and send them to you.. the diagram is for a 72...With that being said, I'd say wire it up the way the new harness is. Did you get the whole harness ( dash, engine, lighting, etc..)

I sent you a pm. The image is too small to zoom in and read.

Yeah, i am using all new harnesses forward of the firewall (wiper motor, lights, engine). The real issue i'm battling is that on both my light and wiper motor harness, i have a connector that would fit my neutral safety switch wiring. I cannot decipher which connector to use...and what the other connector would be used for.

It could be that one of those is for a flasher and the other is for the wiper switch. Yes some wiper switches have 2 connecters on them. Most neutral safety switches have seperate connectors for each wire on them.

I Am Rewiring My 70 Duster With A Painless Kit. I Am Having Trouble With The Wiring To The Gauges In The Rally Dash. I Will Send You The Wiring Printouts I Have If You Need Them, And Maybe You Could Help Me With My Dash. Steve E-mail Bostondowns @aol.com

-
Back