wiring question

-
While I am at it, does anyone know what voltage regulator I should pair with in a new 95amp alternator?

Thanks

IMHO you shouldn't use the 95 amp alternator. Unless you have or are going to significantly rewire your electrical system and do away with the 50+ year old wiring you are asking for trouble.

While I am at it, does anyone know what voltage regulator I should pair with in a new 95amp alternator?

Thanks
Go back to who, what, where you got the alternator from. I would NOT put that much alternator in the system without making DARN sure the wiring is up to snuff, MINIMUM!!!:
1....READ the Mad article and perform some sort of ammeter bypass
2....Take apart and check, repair the bulkhead connector and consider upgrading the wiring
3...Install a FUSED protected charge wire from the battery to the alternator

Post 28 above. What he said. And if the factory voltage regulator is working, it will work with the 95 Amp alt.

Go back to who, what, where you got the alternator from. I would NOT put that much alternator in the system without making DARN sure the wiring is up to snuff, MINIMUM!!!:
1....READ the Mad article and perform some sort of ammeter bypass
2....Take apart and check, repair the bulkhead connector and consider upgrading the wiring
3...Install a FUSED protected charge wire from the battery to the alternator
Yes, a different higher gauge wires added, amp meter bypassed (replaced by voltmeter - see posts above), added wire run through firewall to a different fuse box and fuseable link removes and replaced with a breaker.

However...to my question, does anyone know if the stock voltage regulator will need to be replaced and if so any recommendations from experience? The alternator will install next but I am looking to cross my T's on this.

Thnx

Quick question, if I attached a switch to the 2 posts that were the amp meter instead of bolting or soldering then together. On all would work, off it could be a kill switch/anti theft device no?

Am I missing anything with this thought?

Thanks

On all would work, off it could be a kill switch/anti theft device no?
Seems right, but the wiring diagram would prove that out.

But the switch would need to becapable of handling 60 or 100 amps

Why stop at 95 amp? Go 200 amp and run a welder off it.

Isn't the fusible link link link 40 amps or something? I have everything running through that under 20 amps, so I'm not too worried about that, my goal is to run most of the new/fun stuff through a new circuit through the firewall anyhow.

Thanks, glad there were no immediate objections that I missed.

Thanks, glad there were no immediate objections that I missed
Did you miss the part where the wiring diagram was recommended to be consulted?

Trace it all out before making changes

With wiring changes all bets are off

I appreciate it but I don't have a wiring diagram of my 66 barracuda. And I still wouldn't be 100% off of my own review of it. But good suggestion, I agree.

Mymopar.com

free downloads.

if they dont have 66 try 65 and 67, yes slightly different beasts but a ton of things that will be the same

also classiccarwiringcom best 20.00 you will spend

-
Back