Wiring

-

jrg7198

Reaction score
Hey so I’m new to classic cars but not new to cars and I have no idea how to wire up a classic engine so I have a 318 LA small block and I got it with the distributor off and alternator off and I have no idea how to wire any of it I don’t know where what goes where so if someone could please help me out I would very much appreciate it I would love to get this engine running already also I need to know what the engine control module looks like cause I may be missing that or it may be bad I’m not sure someone please help

What car do you have.
It’s a 74 dart but it has an after market wiring harness that’s wired up for the most part in terms of being turn key ready but the distributor ignition coil and alternator are not wired up and I don’t know how to wire them and I’ve searched for weeks trying to find a video or a diagram but there is not a single one that I could find they all are just for how to time and install the distributor but not how to wire it and I have no idea if I even have an engine control module in the car as I don’t know what It looks like it’s like all the videos I’ve seen just assume that the people watching know what everything is and knows where the tires go but I do not know

Maybe this will help

Electronic ignition dual ballast.jpg

10 years ago when I got my last duster I was in this position and found an image of the wiring diagram online and went to the local office Depot and had them look it up on the computer and make a copy and a blown up copy and a colored copy and I think I was out of there for under 3 bucks....

Maybe yes, maybe no. OP stated he has no idea "how to wire".
Well an OEM schematic is at least a start. LOTS of harness' in a car, hopefully they all aren't aftermarket.
that doesn't help with an aftermarket harness in the car.

How's harness is in the car. Find out. Look at the fusebox for hints or writing on the wires.

The FIRST thing to do is try and identify what brand the harness is in the car. This is because whoever manufactured it has (varying) documentation on that harness. The wires are generally either labeled or numbered.

OP does the car still have the bulkhead connector plug or has that been eliminated into the cable feeding "straight through?" This is because you will need the pin numbers to figure out where they go

Some of what you "need to find."

There are only so many outputs from the ignition switch. They are ACCESSORY, hot with key in both run or ACC
"Run" (IGN1) which is only hot in the "run" position. This feeds stuff like gauges, warning lamps (brake and oil) and comes out through the bulkhead and feeds ignition system, alternator field, and regulator power

The coil bypass circuit, "IGN2" in the diagrams. This is hot ONLY in start just like the start circuit, but is isolated with a separate switch contact. It goes out through the bulkhead and connects to the coil + side of the ballast resistor (if you have one) so the ignition system gets full battery during cranking

The "start" wire. This is also only hot in start, goes out through the bulkhead, and triggers the start relay (one of the small flag/ spade terminals on the relay) The other flag terminal either goes down the firewall to the center of the neutral safety switch (automatic) or through the firewalll to the clutch safety switch (stick shift.) Either of those grounds the relay coil and allows it to function

The guys above are technically incorrect There IS NO free 74 manual at MyMopar but I can send you one, send me a private message.

What might be more careful because of the way the 73/ later factory manuals are drawn, is the two page aftermarket diagrams over at MyMopar. In the wiring section. They are somewhat simplified, but can be easier to follow.

-
Back