WIW 66 Barracuda /6 3 on the tree a/c 20K miles

-

YY1

Reaction score
Thinking about buying this car.
Never owned a slant before.
Not crazy about 3 on the tree.
If this really is a 20,000 mile car...
How much value would I kill by swapping in 4 on the floor?

I confess, I may be looking at a flip.
If it is a 20K survivor, I might be able to make a good profit and fund other projects.
I would also be OK driving it for a while, and it wouldn't bother me to keep it (with the 4 speed or o/d)(...and maybe a turbo:)).

Have not seen the inside.
If it's factory a/c (not dealer). how odd would that be??

Assuming no body work...What's It Worth?

Attachments

• 66 bc f.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 263
  • 66 bc p.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 234
I have to tell you I love these early A's but the only way you could guarantee making money is if you buy it for under a $1,000

I really don't see the car as rare and a 4 speed floor shifter effecting the value much. But if your considering selling it again not messing with the originality is always better IMO.

These cars are hard to sell. My guess it may be worth $3000 if it is in outstanding condition. Probably more like $1,500 to $2,000 in reality

My car is (was) a 13K mile survivor when I bought it. Took me the better part of 20 years to find this car. Came with a 170 and a three on the tree. The guy I bought it from was having no luck selling it. He had the car on eBay a few times with a BIN of $9K and the auction never broke $6K or met his reserve.

It now sports an 8 3/4, four speed on the floor, 15-inch wheels, a sway bar, almost 18K and soon the two missing cylinders. I am sure I've done nothing but hurt the value, but making money on early A-bodies is a rough job unless you can buy them real cheap, flip them or part them.

3 on the tree is fun! Just don't put your fist into the windshield missing a shift! V8/904 aftermarket shifter is an easy swap. 4sp needs the hump grafted in. That car is more of a cruiser than a bruiser, have fun with it stock, not the easiest car to build into a street machine. No cheap headers, no tubs (unless you section the rear seat) No big block unless you really want to get creative (just ask ...) Smallish brakes if they are 9's, expensive 8 3/4 rears if you want to keep the 5 on 4, poor rim choices with the 5 on 4's. But I still love my '65..learn to live with them!

Wow, you could probably make a few bucks if you wanted to transport it up north, but that expense would take a big chunk of your profit. If the car was near here I would pick it up in a heartbeat at that price. Good luck.

He's come down about a grand, and I thought it was a good deal before.

I laughed at the car lot down the street that had one for $8500.
/6 auto with BAD paint and stick on scoops.

...but this is a 20K mile survivor with what looks to be a clean straight body possibly with orihinal paint, running and driving, and the asking price is less thatn what's listed as #4 condition.

I've seen three cars in the last year that sat on CL for months unsold, and then went on ebay and brought tripple their advertized CL price.

Tough call, eh?

CL is a place where you can mine for bargains like you could on eBay ten years ago. Most people are unaware of crazedlist and the other sites that let you search more than one area at a time. That said early A's are to later A's like A-bodies are to E-bodies. No matter what you have into them, they are a much harder sell.

If that car was up here it would likely sell for at least double his asking price, but it might take a year or more to find someone who wants it.

I figued I put a sign in the window for 5K, and start driving it to car shows/swap meets.

Can still put lots of parts in the back, AND get good mileage.

...and if it sells, it sells!

If that car was up here it would likely sell for at least double his asking price, but it might take a year or more to find someone who wants it.

Yeah, what he said.....a rust free driver is a tough combo to find for cheap the further north you go. :burnout:

There were 2 66's on CL here this one has been on and off for quite a while i had a friend look at one of them [don't know which one] this one and there was a burgandy one on a car lot.One of them was a slanty with factory air and lots of cancer according to him.I love my 66, as pishta said headers [forget it] wheels slim choices,mini tub [back seat issues], bigblock install pain in the ***. My car is factory air car, auto,273,power steering, no plans to hot rod just restore to mostly stock with a few engine mods,[fox body 8 inch rear]. Cool cars but not widley popular ones.

-
Back