WIW 67 GTS 383-4s Black on Black?

-

Denny

Reaction score
I know I'm gonna get ripped for no pictures but here it goes.In about 93 a local Chevy drag racer told me he had found a GTS that he was going to buy from the original owner.
When he got the car home he ask if I would come check it out for him.When I got there I was shocked as it was a Black on Black 67 GTS 383 4 speed untouched except for primer sprayed over the original paint.
He and I stripped the primer off to look for hidden body damage and there was none with some small bubbling behind the right rear tire.It still had the original hub caps like were in the 67 GTS ad.Original buckets need recovering but the interior was all there just dirty from setting in a garage.
I'm no expert but have had at least one MOPAR always since the mid 70s and this car looked correct and original as far as I could tell.The trim was ok and present.
He has not done anything but store the car inside at his race shop.I told him back then not to mess this car up.This guy is sharp but is more drag racing not restoration.
I heard today he is interested in selling it.I cant afford it right now but would like it to go to someone who will restore it correctly.
If I go there [200 miles] and start taking pictures,He will raise the price because I used to buy and sell at a profit often.I'm not sure in the current market what the car is worth but it is one that I've kept in my mind as a very very good piece.
Let me know what you think it might be worth and I will set someone up with contact info if they are really interested and have the money.
Denny

there are some pieces that are very specific to this car and when missing they change the value as they alone worth and cost a lot, such as the factory a-body 383 block, k-frame, exhaust manifolds, radiator, valve covers and air cleaner. Has the car been cut for fenderwell headers? Very roughly 5 to 10k assuming 1/2 the pieces are there, but not a lot to really go on with the information given. They are rare no doubt.

The double black and big block 4-spd IS a very desirable combo alone.

It still has the stock manifolds.No modifications that I could tell.No fender well cuts,no large wheel wells,no extra guages.I've been around the block,I would call this car unmolested.The only incorrect things i could see were consumables[belts,hoses].I rode in the car when he got it and was impressed.Didnt note the severe traction limit everyone harps on.It felt plenty quick to me and at the time I was driving a 68 GTX 440 auto.
Denny

a driver, uncut, in need of resto "all parts there" - low teens to the right person. The market still sucks a bit right now.
It has got to be a low production car for sure only 229 w/auto's made and w/4-spd? likely similar maybe a bit more if it followed suit with the barracuda.
But again the real unknowns can effect value, air cleaner goes for around 600, radiator perhaps about the same when you can find them. manifolds, core block - 1k.

229 four speeds according to the GTS registry.I know it has an a body block and Im sure the big bulky air cleaner is the 67 style.Its been awhile and I dont remember if we checked numbers on the radiator and manifolds.I know I thought they were correct at the time.He is asking 10K but Im sure it could be bought for a little less,maybe 8 to 9.

By the way Rocky,I really like your Barracuda with the correct center caps.My 68 GTX came with those originally and they are my favorite of all the wheel center caps.

I sold my 68 GTS 383 4 speed rolling body for $13.5 K.It was a 36,000 mile car with buildsheet,fender tag,and full history.The inner fenders were cut but I replaced them.The rear quarters were cut and I sold it with new AMD quarters,uninstalled.The car was 99.9% rustfree and the original interior was very nice.It still had 100% of it's original paint.It was missing the engine and exhaust manifolds everything else was there.It also was a driver before I pulled the engine.I had new brake lines,fuel tank,brakes,axles,rebuilt front end,and all 4 shocks were new.I had people try and tell me over and over it was only worth $6K,I knew better I sold it for $13.K.
I would say if the car is still a driver at least low teens and if it did not have primer over the original paint more...

I sold my 68 GTS 383 4 speed rolling body for $13.5 K.It was a 36,000 mile car with buildsheet,fender tag,and full history.The inner fenders were cut but I replaced them.The rear quarters were cut and I sold it with new AMD quarters,uninstalled.The car was 99.9% rustfree and the original interior was very nice.It still had 100% of it's original paint.It was missing the engine and exhaust manifolds everything else was there.It also was a driver before I pulled the engine.I had new brake lines,fuel tank,brakes,axles,rebuilt front end,and all 4 shocks were new.I had people try and tell me over and over it was only worth $6K,I knew better I sold it for $13.K.
I would say if the car is still a driver at least low teens and if it did not have primer over the original paint more...

I agree with you on your 68, but 68's are a lot more desirable than 67

I also agree that the 68s are more desirable from an asthetics standpoint.Thats probably why I havent forced a deal on this car through the years.Black on Black is my favorite combo on a GTS but I prefer the 68 trim.

Attachments

• 2006%20Carlisle%201184.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 185
  • 1837948-DSC03423.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 151
  • 69_swinger_black_340_4_spd_lt_front_ma7d.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 171
The 229 number was off my head. For that and you've seen it and is what you believe it to be you'll not go wrong at that price. air cleaner is big ugly and why many were removed and tossed expensive and hard to find now same with the manifolds 67 where one year but even if wrong year they could be used to trade for correct ones.

Back then we just drove the wheels off of them. The only numbers of concern were ET or how much you made street racing! Sure it is not "as" desirable as a 68. We are talking a black on black 383 4spd car which is not undesirable by any means! It is not like hitting a 400lb virgin. Sure they are rare, but only a few might have the guts to go there! lol

229 four speeds according to the GTS registry.I know it has an a body block and Im sure the big bulky air cleaner is the 67 style.Its been awhile and I dont remember if we checked numbers on the radiator and manifolds.I know I thought they were correct at the time.He is asking 10K but Im sure it could be bought for a little less,maybe 8 to 9.

-
Back