WIW: '71 Dodge Demon Sizzler

-

eagleone1983

Reaction score
Howdie everybody. I'm going to go look at a this car today after work but want to go in with some knowledge and don't want to lowball the guy either. It is a '71 Demon Sizzler, what should be a fair price. From what I can tell it is missing the ralleye wheels and I can't tell if it has mirrors or not.

Attachments

• 21709331.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 327
  • 21709332.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 312
  • 21709338.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 325
  • 21709341.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 315
  • 21709350.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 318
Tough to say, but quickly looking at pics it needs a complete interior, quarters and some rust repair. Restored nicely it might be worth 12k, so I'd usually ask him what he thinks it would be worth all done, inform him of how much the value has decreased lately to make him lower his perceived value, then start ballparking out loud how much it is going to cost you to get it there.. Once your cost exceeds his value, then you can hammer out a proper price.

Grant

Tough to say, but quickly looking at pics it needs a complete interior, quarters and some rust repair. Restored nicely it might be worth 12k, so I'd usually ask him what he thinks it would be worth all done, inform him of how much the value has decreased lately to make him lower his perceived value, then start ballparking out loud how much it is going to cost you to get it there.. Once your cost exceeds his value, then you can hammer out a proper price.

Grant

I think we read the instruction same manual :D

Looks like a good deal. Check the fender tag for the code A59. That is the code for a Sizzler pkg Demon. Also the only engines avail were a 225 or a 318 so the vin code would be a B or G engine code.

My Sizzler is a real A59 car originally a B engine code 225, now with a 440.:thumbup:

Attachments

• sizzlerout2.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 283
The guy is asking $4,795 for it and it doesn't have the original engine or the ralleye wheels. He's got a 383 in it now.

at that price, i would walk quickly away. that car needs everything and then some

fair price would be like 2500.00

Demons are somewhat more valuable than their other A body counterparts from the same years.......but unless he has the original drive train, that car is worth no more than any other Duster or Demon with a non numbers matching engine and needing repairs. Plot nailed it.

340plot gave an accurate assessment.

We have a member(Slappy) who has a clean green 1971 Demon that had way less body issues than this car. To do what this car need, it really needs to be dis-assembled and all the rust/damage needs to assessed.

Otherwise, a quicky patch / bondo job / Maaco paint job will be toast in a couple years, as the cancer starts to raise it's ugly head, once again.

The 383 is decent, but you have to hear it, and look at the documentation that comes with the car, including any receipts documenting the 383 build.

This could be a really sharp car though, as it looks butterscotch.

But you will easily be underwater, if you properly restore the car.

That is exactly why I love these for"X"bodiesonly forums. Thanks a lot guys I guess I'll be waiting a little longer to join the A body club cause this guy isn't looking to stray too far off the asking price.

That is exactly why I love these for"X"bodiesonly forums. Thanks a lot guys I guess I'll be waiting a little longer to join the A body club cause this guy isn't looking to stray too far off the asking price.

For comparison, for $8000 you can get something like a Dart, V8, running and driving, body work and paint done, and maybe a few minor cosmetic things needed.

So for $4000 I'd expect a car that is running and driving with a good body that maybe needs paint and a few odds and ends to finish it off.

Just re-looking and it's hard to tell for sure, but it looks like an aftermarket sunroof.. thats a big hole to fill, so unless you want one there, it's a reroof..

Grant

Everybody is right, this is way over priced, unless you just want a fixer upper spend a little more and get something in better shape. I have been scouring the country through internet searches looking for another A body, and there are a lot of good deals to be had.

It looks to m e like the 383 that is in it is clean so maybe it's fresh too. This might be some of the reason the guy is asking what he is for the car. It does need the entire interior replaced and a decent amount of body work but it is a unique and somewhat rare car. If you really want it I would ask the guy what he would sell the car for minus the engine/trans. I think $2500 is more than fair at that point.

Did any one ever see a 71 Sizzler with a rubber front bumper as the other 71 Dodges were available with? This bumper fill's in the bumper notches in the fenders, stays low to the valance on the ends and has more of a point across the front. It is deffinately not a painted metal bumper. And was on the car from new. This car has been in our area and driven by the same lady since I first saw it in 1973. It is a orange Sizzler with all the correct striping and painted grille. This is the only demon I ever saw with this style bumper on it. Does any one know if they are out there on any other Demons? This has puzzled me for many years.Steve

No Demons came with a Rubber bumper, ever. Somebody may have swapped a Cuda or Challenger bumper on it. Cuda would be my guess as you said it was pointed in the center. Can you post a pic of the Demon you're talking about?

However certain color 71 Demon Sizzlers have the body colored grille, like Demonsizzlers above.

I know of this car and this lady from 1973. This lady was older then and is now very old. It is a Sizzler I owned several myself. The bumper was on when it was new. I physically saw the car back then. And she still has the car today. Its is not a cuda bumper I had a 70 440 cuda with one on. This bumper fit this car perfect. The only thing I could think of was it was done with an after market supplier at the dealer. I am deffinately going to get this car if I can out live her. I want this bumper for my Demon build. I had a 71 GSS that came with front spoiler . I kept it an still have it today. It also had a AM radio with a floor mount cassett with a mike. I kept that. My 71 duster 340 also has the cassett. My Demon is a EV2 71 340 4sp car I want to build a Hemi Sizzler with all the weird options no one ever see's. Only because I have alot of them and I can. But This bumper is driving me nutty for years and I want it. I am not the only mopar guy who has seen this car, alot have in our area. A freind of mine with a gold 71 340 Demon saw it at Redners about a year ago and had a chat with the lady. I know it is the only one I ever saw. I thought there might have been others. One thing I learned about Mopars over the years of buying and selling several. Never say never. there is alot of one off pieces out there. I already have a few myself. One is a speedo that a fellow said they never made. Its in a car I own now. It was one of one and shelby declined to use it and went to an add on sticker because of the price .

-
Back