WIW All Original 74 Duster 360 4 Speed Car?

-
Car craft did a project series on one back in the day and I think it ran 14.60's? off the show room if memory serves me.
Here is the specs

image.jpg

My car weighs 3550 with full tank and my big *** (215lbs) in it.
To be honest I read the article before I finished the car and the 14.60 time is what I was shooting for. I had tons of people telling me I was wasting my time ,they were slow, 360's are junk etc. When I ran 14.50 with a worn out motor I realized there were some seriously misinformed people out there.

Seth, you may recall the maroon 360 4 speed Duster I bought from one of your fellow Pure stock draggers from Warsaw. I forget his name now, you may know. That's my old car I'm referring to. I sold it to a buddy of mine who helped me trailer that car home. It was #'s matching as well. This brown car BTW also has all it's documentation with it. 2 broadcast sheets and window sticker.

To be honest I read the article before I finished the car and the 14.60 time is what I was shooting for. I had tons of people telling me I was wasting my time ,they were slow, 360's are junk etc. When I ran 14.50 with a worn out motor I realized there were some seriously misinformed people out there.
I ran 13.30's with a 360 and 3.23's. I did have headers, and a 10" converter. Cam was the .455 lift 268/276 advertised duration. '74 Dart Sport. Idled like a 318 2bbl.

Seth, you may recall the maroon 360 4 speed Duster I bought from one of your fellow Pure stock draggers from Warsaw. I forget his name now, you may know. That's my old car I'm referring to. I sold it to a buddy of mine who helped me trailer that car home. It was #'s matching as well. This brown car BTW also has all it's documentation with it. 2 broadcast sheets and window sticker.
Yes I remember the car. Saw it this year at the James Dean car show in Fairmount. I was trying to buy a black 72 340 demon that was parked with him.

Yes I remember the car. Saw it this year at the James Dean car show in Fairmount. I was trying to buy a black 72 340 demon that was parked with him.

Yes. I put new seat covers in that Demon a few years ago. The guy with my Old Duster used to own the Demon. It's got a crate 360 in it. I had my 69 Formula S Fastback 383 4 speed car there at Fairmount as well.

So in all of this it sounds like the correct Drivetrain in complete condition out of a 360 Duster is worth 5k or so?
That's a lot better than the 15.8. LOL......

So you owned one of these cars from all your replys and knowledge of these cars. Please post up a picture of it.... I would like to see the example.

Thanks,
JW

So in all of this it sounds like the correct Drivetrain in complete condition out of a 360 Duster is worth 5k or so?

So you owned one of these cars from all your replys and knowledge of these cars. Please post up a picture of it.... I would like to see the example.

Thanks,
JW
Not a factory 360 car. I've pulled 318's and slant sixes for 360's/340's. I won't pay for a letter in a VIN. that's just me though :)

Thanks,
JW
I paid $500 back in 2011 for my 360 duster drivetrain. The only unique parts are the air cleaner,exhaust manifolds, and correct list # thermoquad. Everything else is run of the mill stuff and that's why I chose to build this car. Probably the cheapest purestocker to build. Here is a pic with my son who I built it for.

image.jpg

Yes. I put new seat covers in that Demon a few years ago. The guy with my Old Duster used to own the Demon. It's got a crate 360 in it. I had my 69 Formula S Fastback 383 4 speed car there at Fairmount as well.
Tim were you parked in the mopar area like I was? I don't remember seeing your car?

Seth- do you want to sell that thermoquad? I have been looking for one

Not a factory 360 car. I've pulled 318's and slant sixes for 360's/340's. I won't pay for a letter in a VIN. that's just me though :)

Keep this in mind when you want to praise a low production number car like this..... Imagine "you" got your hands on one of these cars and everything is right and has the incorrect Motor.... "I" have the correct motor and can take your car from zero to hero with just a stroke of the pen....... Don't think for a second that someone won't pay it......

As for the performance side, it been a good chuckle for sure and if you think the cars were that capable then go ahead and enjoy your happy tho
I paid $500 back in 2011 for my 360 duster drivetrain. The only unique parts are the air cleaner,exhaust manifolds, and correct list # thermoquad. Everything else is run of the mill stuff and that's why I chose to build this car. Probably the cheapest purestocker to build. Here is a pic with my son who I built it for.

View attachment 1715002538

Nice car.... Good luck racing....

JW

Seth- do you want to sell that thermoquad? I have been looking for one

PM me if you are seriously looking for one. I am bringing some of my parts to my house this weekend from storage and if you give me the number I will look and see if I have one in the piles of TQ's lol....

JW

Tim were you parked in the mopar area like I was? I don't remember seeing your car?

No I wasn't in the Mopar Corral. I always park under the trees beside the railroad tracks that run thru town. I was over there Saturday most of the day.

Keep this in mind when you want to praise a low production number car like this..... Imagine "you" got your hands on one of these cars and everything is right and has the incorrect Motor.... "I" have the correct motor and can take your car from zero to hero with just a stroke of the pen....... Don't think for a second that someone won't pay it......
JW

Trust me, I have friends that studied every number being correct. And they pay for the one letter in the VIN. I totally understand this side of it completely.
But, two things:
1st, I would destroy numbers matching by pulling off what I didn't like and installing what I did like. Like going from power to manual steering, brakes, etc. Then the factory A/C gets in my way and off with that. I don't know if you ever followed any of my threads, but if you did you'd see the car of topic in this thread would NOT appreciate my thoughts and ideas.... (speaking of $$ side of things). :D
2nd, for toy money I didn't have 6k to buy H-code stuff in the late 80's, and I don't have 20-30k to buy it now.

Trust me, I have friends that studied every number being correct. And they pay for the one letter in the VIN. I totally understand this side of it completely.
But, two things:
1st, I would destroy numbers matching by pulling off what I didn't like and installing what I did like. Like going from power to manual steering, brakes, etc. Then the factory A/C gets in my way and off with that. I don't know if you ever followed any of my threads, but if you did you'd see the car of topic in this thread would NOT appreciate my thoughts and ideas.... (speaking of $$ side of things). :D
2nd, for toy money I didn't have 6k to buy H-code stuff in the late 80's, and I don't have 20-30k to buy it now.

Exaggerating must be in your nature..... Nobody was paying 6k for a Duster in the late 80's..... And if you were then it would have only been because you were bored with your money or there was a specific reason. I won't bore you with Photos of what I could find but the 360 car I owned was a whopping 2500.00 with maybe 50k on the odometer and only had faded paint. In fact, the owner told me he had just puts wheels on it to help the sell otherwise it would have been less than 2k lol. My Avatar (god rest her soul) was clean as a pin and was only 3000.00 with 12 second time slips in the Glove Box (1987)....... Seriously go find the Lockness Monster and report back....

JW

Exaggerating must be in your nature..... Nobody was paying 6k for a Duster in the late 80's..... And if you were then it would have only been because you were bored with your money or there was a specific reason. I won't bore you with Photos of what I could find but the 360 car I owned was a whopping 2500.00 with maybe 50k on the odometer and only had faded paint. In fact, the owner told me he had just puts wheels on it to help the sell otherwise it would have been less than 2k lol. My Avatar (god rest her soul) was clean as a pin and was only 3000.00 with 12 second time slips in the Glove Box (1987)....... Seriously go find the Lockness Monster and report back....

JW
Ok, I guess we were talk'n two different classes of cars. I'm not talk'n "all she needs is paint" 360 cars. LOL...... I was talk'n H-code 340 cars date code correct. That includes plug wires. I saw a friend sell his 71 340 Duster for 6500 in 1993, and it was a NICE car, but wasn't 100 % date code correct. I don't think 6k in 1989 is too far off. But i'll give ya the benefit of the doubt and knock 1050 off and call it 4950.00. that don't change the point, because I didn't have 4950 in my late teens either :D
But sure, you could get a really nice Duster in 1989 for 2500. In fact, we sold a 72 Duster for 800 bucks. But it was a 318 2bbl, some touch ups around the car, and bondo in the lower quarters..... not by any standard on the same planet as what the discussion was about.
Seriously, you might be the lockness sea monster, pull your head out of the water and read before you type.. :D

Last edited:
I bought a 1971 Dodge Demon 318 2bbl from the grandson's original owner in 1989 with 44K date correct all original with some bondo for $2200.00. Top Bananna yellow with a full vinyl top.

Drove it in Chicago winters fixing stuff with non date correct parts from local parts stores. Put 40K miles on it with more rust and didn't like running cold below 30 degrees and not wanting to struggle with it as a daily driver anymore and sold it for what I paid for it $2200

2016 - bought a '73 Dart Sport 340 H code with electronic ignition but for more than $2200.00. Reliving my youth with my 15 year old son. He loves MoPars.

I bought a 1971 Dodge Demon 318 2bbl from the grandson's original owner in 1989 with 44K date correct all original with some bondo for $2200.00. Top Bananna yellow with a full vinyl top.
sounds about right. And if it would have been a "minty mint" all original 340 car, well, that price would have been a little more than double. Just about what I posted above, but SLOPAR 72 thinks I should be looking for the Lockness Sea Monster..... :D

Thanks everyone for your input concerning the 74 360 Duster buy. I'm finally ready to put this thing to bed and just move on to something else. My personal belief is that the car is worth in the 16.5K range and just can't see myself offering any more than I already have for it.

View attachment 1715001535

View attachment 1715001536

I've been pondering the purchase of this well documented 74 360 Duster for quite some time. It's all #'s matching with working factory AC and 3.55 SG 8 1/4 rear. Just over 100K miles on the motor and transmission that have never been rebuilt. Price range has been $20K. Any thoughts on the value of this car? I've made a couple of offers that have not been accepted. I'm not a flipper and just want this for my collection. Just looking for opinions on a price range from fellow FABO members. Thanks.

View attachment 1715001533

View attachment 1715001534

-
Back