Wodgrain steering wheel restoration????

-

grimreaper

Cross Member
Reaction score
I'm fixing the cracked steering wheel for one of my cars and want to paint the rim. It was originally a woodgrain look. Does anybody have any tips or suggestions for how to recreate that look? I know there are companies that restore steering wheels but I'm just too cheap for that and I want to do this thing by myself. Any tips for a woodgrain paint simulation are appreciated!

If you have a small repair like a crack ring to touch up it'll never look right.
The grain of wood is constantly changing so a large area is easier to blend in.
You'll need 3 or more colors of paint, applied in several layers. I have custom mixed colors needed using serveral little bottles of testors enamels.
The dominate lighter color goes on last. The lesser 2 darker colors, one in full cover then one in linear stripes of various widths. Add some artistic touches with a needle, ball point pen, dry brush, whatever works.
It's trial and error. A knot with lines radiating out and away in sort of an eyeball shape can look more natural than a lot of squiggley lines. Anything you do will require water sand and clearcoat finish on the entire wheel to get a matching consistant sheen.
Burlwood is easier to blend than linear grains. For that you just pounce around with no pattern. Same with vynil grain but it also has a depth to duplicate.

This is a really cool thread. My wheel is in almost perfect shape. The only thing wrong with it is it's a little dull. So I would like to see how to brighten it up. Thanks guy's.

This is a really cool thread. My wheel is in almost perfect shape. The only thing wrong with it is it's a little dull. So I would like to see how to brighten it up. Thanks guy's.

There is a guy on moparts that did his own the looked fantastic, do a search.

He laid down a black layer of paint then a brown layer and by hand scratched through the brown layer to make the "grains" it looked better than new when he was done.

-
Back