Wondering how many racers drive there cars to the track.

-
Why can't you just change out your gears at the track?
I thought people used to do this all the time.
I have a set of 4.57's and a set of 3.23's for my 8 3/4. When I put them in my 66 B'cuda I plan to drive to the track with the 3.23's and change the chunk to the 4.57's until I can save for an enclosed trailer.
I might make a mount also in my trunk for that extra pig just over that passenger rear tire?
A little extra traction never hurt anybody and it would definately be the least expensive route. :-D

I have a set of 4.57's and a set of 3.23's for my 8 3/4. When I put them in my 66 B'cuda I plan to drive to the track with the 3.23's and change the chunk to the 4.57's until I can save for an enclosed trailer.
I might make a mount also in my trunk for that extra pig just over that passenger rear tire?
A little extra traction never hurt anybody and it would definately be the least expensive route. :-D

That could be done but its starting to sound like your day at the track wont be that much fun. After you go through a day of racing, how much will you really want to do deal with the grimey job of changing back to a 3.23 (especially in the fall when its dark at the end of the day)?

That is a pretty good jump in gear ratio. I would be curious to know how much faster the car goes with that change.

I guess its no worse than loading a trailer and all the associated stuff that goes with it. :angry7:
I have been that route before and will again, but for a year or so if I want to go to the track, this is what I will have to do.8)
I don't think I ever left before midnight anyway. Lol. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thats what my friend use to do with his roadrunner,drive to e-town from Mass. with 2.76's then switch out for 4.10's in the hotel parking lot,when he got there vise versa before heading back home,only takes about half an hour to switch them out..

So do you guys that switch out pigs have a drain plug in the housing? How do you go about reusing the fluid?

OK, for you guys thinking you can flat tow or dollie an A-body behind your Jeep. Don't. I have a 96 and 99, both grand cherokees , and have the 4.0L, both have trouble pulling my boat/trailer (3200lbs) and get pushed around doing it. I would advise not trying it. And if I'm correct, that's 5000lb with weight distributing hitch, ie spring bars, chains, ball mount, not just the class 3 hitch and ball mount. I would drive it to the track before I would pull a car behind a jeep. Not to mention not having any brakes on the towed vehicle. Just my .02 . Don't get me wrong on the Grand Cherokee, I love them, but it isn't big enough or have enough power to pull a car up a hill, or stop it on the way down.

roadrunnerreds, LOVE that car! What's she running under the hood? How about time slips? Oh, and I drive mine to the track with 4.30's and 27" tall tires but the track is only 3-4 miles away on the freeway. Changing to 4.86's for next season with a 318.

So do you guys that switch out pigs have a drain plug in the housing? How do you go about reusing the fluid?

From what I have read you use a little hand pump stuck in the fill hole to pump it into something clean so you can reuse it. Hopefully someone who has actually done it will chime in. I plan to do a dry run at the house first just to make sure everything goes smoothly and to see how long it takes me.

I drive my Swinger 340 Auto 3:91's & 26" tall tire to the track 55 miles on Interstate 94 @ 3700 rpm & 25-30 miles of back road, each way. Its do-able, I made this trip 12-15 times this year, but I do have a truck now, and just need a trailer.

Well I had a couple spare wheels laying around. 235/75R15 fit but not by much.

14645_311675210572_561290572_9634572_3692589_n.jpg

I don't know if this is a racecar, but I drive my car 60-80 miles each way to Buttonwillow or Willow Springs. With 26" diameter tires and 3.23 gears, it's about 3800 rpm the whole way at 85 mph.

autoxcuda2.jpg

Went a little off course into the dirt and an embankment...

CopySFSF08Pics058.JPG

CopySFSF08Pics056.JPG

It's also got a big trunk, good sized interior, and a sturdy roof. Great for moving 1500 pounds of stuff across country back from collage...

UhaulUnload.JPG

I used to drive mine to the track every week, until I snapped the distributor drive shaft and seized the oil pump. Had to call hubby to hook up the trailer and bring me home. Now he usually trailers me. Of course I haven't broke since. :bootysha:

There is a 1/8th mile track 90 miles away and 1/4 mile track 130 miles away (thought it was a lot closer). I have never raced 1/8th mile but it would save on fuel.

Dove mine to Gainesville (75 miles) once to meet my friend with the Long Ram Dart. He talked me into running it and when I got back to pick up my time slip, the guy asked me if I had a helmet. I told him yes, it's at home and why are you asking? He pointed at my slip...13.8 at 105 on skinny 205/14 tires. I thought it had a really good pull in 3rd.

What should I use to plug the tranny? Junkyard yoke and some ductape

Just unhook the rear u-joint an get a long piece of conduit. Tape up the u-joint so it doesn't come apart and slide the conduit across the front of the springs then rst the shaft on it and tie everything down. Towed a barracuda from Mass to TX like that with no problems.

Larry

Way back in the early 70's, I had a 69 RR and flat towed it back and forth to the track. I had freewheeling hubs bolted to stock rims and tires. It worked pretty well as all I had to do was change to slicks.

Plus is it not true that you'll wear out you ring and pinion by letting it spin while towing? Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what we thought.

-
Back