Won't fire

-

dustya_383

Reaction score
Hey guys so I just swapped my 410 4speed into my other 74 duster ( came out of a 74 duster). I swapped motor trans. Rearend and steering column. Steering column is for as stick car. Everything was working in. Other car msd everything Now car won't start from ignition. Only relay and when I do it from relay it wont fire . do I need to crank in the car while pressing pedal to get it fire cause me jumping it from relay just isn't working. But I can't do that till I figure out why it's not cranking from ignition. I grounded the neutral safety wire that goes down to auto trans. What am I doin wrong. I need to get this car moved by tomorrow thanks guys

Stupid question but did you turn the ignition key to run while jumping from the relay?

sounds like the usual ballast resistor. make sure your ECU is well grounded and the battery to block to body grounds are good. also make sure you have fuel LOL

Yea I'm getting spark cause its firing but won't stay on. I have to hit throttle. To get fuel in intake then crank it will go for a sec then die and have to repeat.

OK, are you saying that it will start and run and when you let go of the key it dies?

Does this thing have the awful, the menacing, the dreadful "seat belt interlock?"

Look under the dash for a relay about the size of the horn relay but with a great big plastic reset button. If so, there should be two yellow/ yellow tracer wires. Pull them out and hook 'em together

Otherwise, identify the "not" NSS wire going to the starter relay. You should have power there "in crank." If not, it's between there and the ign switch, so check the bulkhead connector and check for a seat belt relay

Try grounding the pin of the starter relay which goes to the NSS. You should be able to see which one, IE the wire going from there down behind the engine to the NSS.

16kx4d2.jpg

OK, are you saying that it will start and run and when you let go of the key it dies?

No I had that problem once and fixed it. But I get running and have to constantly give it throttle or else it dies out I tried to adjust idle screw but seems to bottom out ill mess with it see if I can get to run enough to set the timing

Does this thing have the awful, the menacing, the dreadful "seat belt interlock?"

Look under the dash for a relay about the size of the horn relay but with a great big plastic reset button. If so, there should be two yellow/ yellow tracer wires. Pull them out and hook 'em together

Otherwise, identify the "not" NSS wire going to the starter relay. You should have power there "in crank." If not, it's between there and the ign switch, so check the bulkhead connector and check for a seat belt relay

Try grounding the pin of the starter relay which goes to the NSS. You should be able to see which one, IE the wire going from there down behind the engine to the NSS.

16kx4d2.jpg

This one I believe does not have the seatbelt interlock ,what I did was take three wires that went to auto tranny and the black ones I moved to the side and the yellowish brownish ( cant remember color) one I grounded to block . Did I ground the correct wire? I get power to all my gauges and my msd box when I turn key on . but when i turn over to start I get nada from the starter

Damn it!!!! So I was switching all my aftermarket gauges and cluster in to the car and as I disconnected the factory alt. gauge the hot wire came in contact with the dash and smoked the fusible link literally . I have another one from my other car but it went thru bulkhead so do I need to change that whole section or just the one wire??

Yes I made the rookie move of not disconnecting the battery. Uughhh.

if i were you, i would do this bypass right now so your alt is on its own fusible link. you are probably going to have to now anyway

Attachments

• diagram6.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 134
Hey guys so I went ahead and replaced the underhood half of the harness with my other one and I still have no power to anything I'm freakin stuck. No fuses. Are blown in the fusebox what do I do??

SO basically his problem is that he left the battery connected and fried the fusible link. He said he replaced the engine bay harness. The engine will crank from the starter relay, but not from the key. There are no lights or power to the msd. My guess is that the msd wont fire because its on a switch 12v and he possibly fried the under dash harness. He is losing power to the dash and ignition key switch

-
Back