Won't Start

-

71318Swinger

Reaction score
I have a 71' 318 Dart and the car wont start, i have checked all i could think of and nothing i can find, i don't think I'm getting a spark either any ideas of what i could check thanks

Bad coil,points bad if it has points,Bad ECU if its electronic ignition.If there is not spark it probably in the ignition or wiring. Jim

I had a similar problem in my trucks 440. It ended up being a bad dizzy cap.

the ditributor cap is almost brand new and i know its not the ballister because i got a brand new one thinking it was that it is not an electronic ignition, i checked the coil and its resistance and voltages were both good

almost new points and i tested it off the main cable going into the distributor and off a couple of the plugs themselves no spark

Try to hot wire it and see what happens.Run a wire from the + side of the battery to the + side of the coil and then crank the engine over.If the coil,distribitor,and points are all good and you have a good ground it will have spark then.If no spark then run a ground to the coil.Still no spark it is the coil,points,or distibitor thats the problem.
Jim

is the distributor turning. I know it might sound dumb but i had an old car that turned over but the distributor shaft had sheared the pin in the distributor.

-
Back