WOOD GRAIN FOR DOOR PANELS

-

cawley

383 Bcuda
Reaction score
My 67 barracuda didn't come with wood grain on the door panels. I want to put it on. Does anyone sell the wood grain for the door panels ? I want to put the wood grain style on my panels like the 68 barracudas. Also does anyone sell the door panel moldings that go around the wood grain ?

I suppose you know 67 had burlwood rather than linear wood grain. Its not a molding either. 67 has aluminum plate on doors and inst' bezel with the wood treatment on it. I have one spare aluminum door plate here with red reflector. I recovered mine with Avery brand vinyl years ago but it was a challenge. That plate has additional tiny raised detail line about 1/8 inch inside the outer band. The only good news is every door card will have the holes for tangs that attach the plate even though not cut through the vinyl skin.
I do have the deluxe trim treatment in the back of my 67 notch but its all homemade, 1 of none

BEN1.JPG

BENB2.JPG

Not repopped as far as I know. Also I believe it's part of the deluxe trim group.

View attachment 1715525386
Yep. Just dash and doors though. They didn't put wood on the console until they deleted the groove down the middle of it.
Your pic shows the reflector ( which is sometimes broken ). I told myself I would put LEDs behind the reflectors so they light up with dome lamp circuit. Then thought, If I'll run wires for that, I may as well cut holes in the door cards for speakers and run those wires at the same time. I got sidetracked by the D.I.N. inst' bezel project. Never went back to the doors.

Im not looking to make it original looking. Jut want to add to make it different looking. Make it my own. I have the wood grain coming for the dash bezel & the console. When it comes to the groove on the console tops I am going to cut the vinyl out. Make it different.

Detroit Muscle makes some really good quality wood grain dash inserts. I wonder if they could make you the door inserts.

Im not looking to make it original looking. When it comes to the groove on the console tops I am going to cut the vinyl out. Make it different.
That raw edge may not work out in the long run. The linear wood grain treatment that factory used on consoles was much like formica. It would have covered that groove but I suppose it could have cracked with the right impact. It was nasty dust/ash collector so deleting it was a good thing without the wood grain covering.
I do have the same Avery adhesive vinyl on my console. I used the later model console plates without the groove. The downside is the latch button in console door. I don't like it. Pitiful design, prone to failure, wasn't needed. They would get something right then get something wrong at the same time. Anyway... If I had this to do over I would have filled the groove in 67 console plates with bondo, play-doh, something.
Steve had said he might want this extra door plate I have but I told him it doesn't look any different / better than those he has. So I never pulled it down for a pic. They are typically offered in pairs. I don't recall how I ended up with 1 spare.
One more thought, Formica is one material that could make that extra little detail line on these door plates disappear. It could be used everywhere else too. A lot of labor in cutting that stuff to size though.

I suppose you know 67 had burlwood rather than linear wood grain. Its not a molding either. 67 has aluminum plate on doors and inst' bezel with the wood treatment on it. I have one spare aluminum door plate here with red reflector. I recovered mine with Avery brand vinyl years ago but it was a challenge. That plate has additional tiny raised detail line about 1/8 inch inside the outer band. The only good news is every door card will have the holes for tangs that attach the plate even though not cut through the vinyl skin.
I do have the deluxe trim treatment in the back of my 67 notch but its all homemade, 1 of none

View attachment 1715525376

View attachment 1715525377
Even on the window crank. Nice touch!

Even on the window crank. Nice touch!
That area of the window cranks is where they are typically pitted the most. All 4 cranks in this car were very nice so I bought 4 of the smaller handles for 67 b-body vent windows. The 2 originals that were in the back of this car are now stored away for the 67 vert project. All 4 of its original handles were pitted. It would get the smaller handles in the back too.

-
Back