Woody's in my 360!!

-

Jonnylightening

Reaction score
Hey guys just rebuilt my 360 again and i still have a woodpecker knock in my engine. I have a 1990 360 that i completely redone then after a few miles she started smokin. I tore it out to find that pistons 1 and 7 (KBs) had chunks outta them. I got it back together and after being easy on it for a few miles I got on it alittle (4000 RPM), and she started missin and carrying on. I found out that the spark plugs I got were alittle long and the bridge on cyl. 3 was smashed against the electrode. I Then fixed that and still noticing that theres a knock yet. It's deffinately not a rod because its not a clacking just a slight ticking, kinda like a woodpecker. Also my oil pressure is amazing, 80 on start up and about 45-60 when warm driving. I was thinking maybe a lifter or so, but is there anything else anyone can think of that would be causing the ticking?

Did you file fit your rings?? Where are the missing chunks from the pistons? If the rings haven't been fit right you'll knock the top lands off the pistons.

The first time around I didn't which is the reason for the second rebuild:eek: The Second time around my performance shop told me that was probably the reason so I used this chart he gave me and filed them. But they chunked up towards the intake on the valve relief. This was my first engine build also by the way.

On my 360 I have a .026-.028 gap on the top rings. The top rings get a lot of heat and expand much more then the second rings do. By the way, I fit the second rings too. Did you damage the bore when you topped the pistons? My motor is a 90 block, you just have to go slow and double check everything. Keep everything spotless! Is the cam a flat tappet? It could be a cam failing.

yup file fit both top and bottom rings, it has a comp .488 roller cam. The lifters are hyd. rollers. I did check for pushrod clearance before ordering them.

Ok I'm back with the same issue. So I replaced all my roller lifters and it didn't seem to fix the problem. My oil pressure is 80-85 cold and drops to around 40 when hot and goes back closer to 60-65 when I apply throttle. I have read that pre-ignition will also cause a slight knocking sound also. I do believe my timing is off because when I try to start it hot or cold it sometimes acts as though it is flooded. Also when I turn it 2500-3000 then try and shift it pops through the exhaust. So any help is appreciated.

remove the belts from the front of your engine if you have a belt driven fan.

Could be a broken/cracked flexplate

Hey guys just rebuilt my 360 again and i still have a woodpecker knock in my engine. I have a 1990 360 that i completely redone then after a few miles she started smokin. I tore it out to find that pistons 1 and 7 (KBs) had chunks outta them. I got it back together and after being easy on it for a few miles I got on it alittle (4000 RPM), and she started missin and carrying on. I found out that the spark plugs I got were alittle long and the bridge on cyl. 3 was smashed against the electrode. I Then fixed that and still noticing that theres a knock yet. It's deffinately not a rod because its not a clacking just a slight ticking, kinda like a woodpecker. Also my oil pressure is amazing, 80 on start up and about 45-60 when warm driving. I was thinking maybe a lifter or so, but is there anything else anyone can think of that would be causing the ticking?
At this point who knows. The proper spark plugs shouldn't be hard to find.get the timing and carb tuned and see what you have,if it's not too late again. How much piston to valve clearance do you have?

Sometimes it can help to get a piece of rubber hose and listen through it with one ear to isolate which part of an engine the knock or ticking noise is coming from.

It's very basic but can be remarkably accurate and costs nothing.

Your description sounds like an ignition timing issue all over to me.

I had a mystery ticking on my 318 and it turned out the distributor hold-down had come loose and advanced enough to make a ticking sound that I could have SWORN was a bad lifter or a bent pushrod.

i have adjustable rockers in my 360. i went from some mopar performance valve covers to some chrome edelbrocks just to see what it would look like. the second i started the engine, i thought i killed a couple lifters, turns out the adjusters were hitting the covers where the baffles are and left a couple good dents in them. just something to check.....

i have adjustable rockers in my 360. i went from some mopar performance valve covers to some chrome edelbrocks just to see what it would look like. the second i started the engine, i thought i killed a couple lifters, turns out the adjusters were hitting the covers where the baffles are and left a couple good dents in them. just something to check.....

Beat me to it!

-
Back