Worked on the Dart today

-

zhandfull

Reaction score
Trying to get ready for Mopar at the Strip in Vegas. Taking the new to me 68 Dart this year.

Dart has a 408 with 4.10 gears and had some traction problems at the drag strip on the street tires. Besides that the car is a real pitty to drive on the street. Some of the street problems are the rear shock are bottoming out (about 1" of down travel). The electric fuel pump noise is driving me insane and the solid motor mounts need to go to.

So I picked up some year old like new 275-60-15 MT drag radials off of craigslist and installed them on the car. Based on street testing I think this is really going to help the traction problem. I will report back on this real soon as there are a couple test and tunes coming up later this week.

Next I removed the dreaded electric fuel pump and replaced it with a mechanical unit. This alone was the single best upgrade to the car I have done to date. I actually enjoy driving it now.

I also picked up some shorter shocks that would work with my dearched SS springs and installed them tonight. It's amazing how much better the car rides with more than 1" of down travel.

When I bought the Dart it had everything I wanted. However after the first couple of drives I couldn't stand driving the car anymore. Tonight after the above mentioned modifications. I'm happy to report the Dart is getting better and better and I'm more and more please with the car. I'm just amazed at how some simple low cost changes can make you so much more happy with your car.

-
Back