working a trade

-

famous bob

mopar misfit
Reaction score
hey guys, I`m thinking about trading my kfx700 4 wheeler for a 98 Durango-4 wheel drive-318 engine w 160,000 miles- clear title, for.. anyone know anything about them ? looks to be in pretty fair shape, he says it all works and runs excellent. all the 318`s I WAS AROUND WERE DARN GOOD ENGINES IF TREATED RIGHT. ANYONE?

No problems really with the 5.2(318) and 5.9(360) magnum engines. The two "issues" with them are, the intake plenum gasket fails and causes oil consumption and heads cracking enough to cause coolant consumption. They make a better plenum plate out of aluminum that takes care of the gasket failure and the coolant consumption usually only happens on much higher mileage engines than the one you're looking at. My 240k mile '00 Dakota R/T is using a bit of coolant, but I just check it like once a month. I've already done the plenum plate upgrade to it.

I would be more concerned about the trans, as those seem to be what fails on these Dakotas, Durangos and Rams. If it shifts good on a test drive, then go for it.

I know three things;
I love it's name,and I love it's looks,and they don't go very far on a liter of gas.
They are hefty-boys, and they plow wind pretty good. They plow anything pretty good. Is that more than three? Oh

If the wind shield is not in perfect shape bring that up because that year model is twice as much to change out with the seal thing I have heard , 2003 three up are cheep to change.

If the wind shield is not in perfect shape bring that up because that year model is twice as much to change out with the seal thing I have heard , 2003 three up are cheep to change.
will do .

they eat window regulators alot. Had a 2001, got sorry mileage and went through at least 6 regulators

I had a 98 and I dearly loved it,ran and drove great,would pass anything but a gas station.5.2 with 3:90 gears=9-10 mpg but I loved driving it............................................Jeff

I know three things;
I love it's name,and I love it's looks,and they don't go very far on a liter of gas.
They are hefty-boys, and they plow wind pretty good. They plow anything pretty good. Is that more than three? Oh

We use gallons not liters, so they go a lot farther here.:D

As long as the 4 wheeler has a value of around $1800 or less.
the bike is worth about $2400 to $3000 depending on the condition. haven`t heard back from him, may be a chain yanker. have about $1200 worth of stuff to go w/ it.

I can tell you about a 98 durango 5.2 auto that my father has had since new. 250k miles. I've had to rebuild the rear axle once. The transfer case once (another mechanics fault, dealer actually) they screwed up a u-joint and it wiped out the transfer case. The transmission once, and this was a ***** to get in and out. I'd pull the motor/trans combo next time. One speaker, one window regulator, one water pump, one power steering pump. Couple of belt changes, never broke one, but since I was there. Standard maintenance. No motor work required.

Around here you can pick up "well" used ones for around 14 to 18 hundred. One in good shape, 18 to 24 hundred. Myself, I have looked at a few as a backup for dad and wouldn't go over 2k. But his is working fine after the trans rebuild and he's knocking on 80 in a couple years. As noted - trans a weak point. Cost more to fix than truck is worth unless you do it yourself.

Unless his is super sweet. I'd sell the bike and go hunt up something you want or like. On the surface, it sounds like the better horse trader is him. But if you're both happy............

smiley-face-laughing.gif
I know three things;
I love it's name,and I love it's looks,and they don't go very far on a liter of gas. Make that gallon.
Edited for my Southern friends,lol But your gallons are just 8/10 of a real gallon, So they still don't go very far. They get way better gas mileage up here.:lol:

I can tell you about a 98 durango 5.2 auto that my father has had since new. 250k miles. I've had to rebuild the rear axle once. The transfer case once (another mechanics fault, dealer actually) they screwed up a u-joint and it wiped out the transfer case. The transmission once, and this was a ***** to get in and out. I'd pull the motor/trans combo next time. One speaker, one window regulator, one water pump, one power steering pump. Couple of belt changes, never broke one, but since I was there. Standard maintenance. No motor work required.

Around here you can pick up "well" used ones for around 14 to 18 hundred. One in good shape, 18 to 24 hundred. Myself, I have looked at a few as a backup for dad and wouldn't go over 2k. But his is working fine after the trans rebuild and he's knocking on 80 in a couple years. As noted - trans a weak point. Cost more to fix than truck is worth unless you do it yourself.

Unless his is super sweet. I'd sell the bike and go hunt up something you want or like. On the surface, it sounds like the better horse trader is him. But if you're both happy............
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this is what I wanted to know. don`t need a daily driver "project" -thanks.

Upper and lower ball joints on these were junk, they may have even had a recall.

Once replaced with better units they are fine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this is what I wanted to know. don`t need a daily driver "project" -thanks.
------------on hold --------------

Somebody always gets f*cked in a trade deal, cash is KING!
he`s hot to trade now. I`m about to back out, since we really never made a deal to start with. my bike is worth about $400 less than I thot, but $1200 of stuff to go w/ it kind of sours the deal too.

-
Back