Working on this Jeep YJ rearend swap into my 68 it looks like

-

Cruisingram

Reaction score
First question, it's a timing thing, but does anyone know the spring perch to spring perch measurement for a 68 Dart off hand? I can't get to mine until tomorrow, but going can measure the jeep rearends today.

I want to go BBP on my Dart, and it looks like the best way to go is a jeep Wrangler YJ rearend, which I understand is the same wheel hub to wheel hub, but the perches are on the wrong side of the axle.

That makes this by far the easiest for me to do on the island, I have a pile of these rear ends laying around. The only problem is, some are D35s from Cherokees, some are from Wranglers, so I have to measure the spring perches of the jeep axles to know which is which and the dart to match them up as close as possible.

Really great because the parts are so easy to get for this rear end.

spring perches are 43" center to center on an abody. there is a pinion angle to worry about when welding the perches on too. forget that number off the top of my head. have it written down at home.

spring perches are 43" center to center on an abody. there is a pinion angle to worry about when welding the perches on too. forget that number off the top of my head. have it written down at home.
if you want to PM me that sometime that would be cool too? Going to get the rearend either this week or next, start on it weekend after that.

U need to have at least -2 difference between the transmission tail shaft and the pinion. So if the tail is 0* then u want the pinion at -2*. Just simple math. The vehicle has to be sitting on all 4 wheels. Do not use your drive shaft for any measurements. Just pretend it is t even on the vehicle. Kim

Got it thanks! I think I will put the angle thingy (forgot what its called) on the stock rearend pinion and see where it lands with the stock perches, then check the Jeep one against that, and should be able to do it out of the car then. Guess can shim if a little off? Seen plenty shims in cars in my day LOL.

I usually put the diff in with with the perches loose. Then adjust it side to side then as their not always the same distance to the Center of the wheel tub. U want your wheels to be in the same place side to side. Then set the angle. Kim.

I usually put the diff in with with the perches loose. Then adjust it side to side then as their not always the same distance to the Center of the wheel tub. U want your wheels to be in the same place side to side. Then set the angle. Kim.

That is damn good advice now gonna do it brah!

You should also watch where the center of the yoke is left to right

Ford's were centered in the car ( different length axles left to right)

Mopar we're typically offset to the passanger side and both axles were the same length.

You should also watch where the center of the yoke is left to right

Ford's were centered in the car ( different length axles left to right)

Mopar we're typically offset to the passanger side and both axles were the same length.
I am going to physically crawl under the dart tommorow and check that out specifically, some have said they have put these in A Bodies, so I am hoping that is not an issue.

if you want to PM me that sometime that would be cool too? Going to get the rearend either this week or next, start on it weekend after that.

on a abody 8 3/4 anyway it looks like with the perches level that the flat surface where the center section bo9lts to is 5* up.. this was measured off an original abody 8 3/4. not sure if or how that would translate to a jeep rear end.

So the pumpkin is dead center on both, the place where the wheel bolts up to the brake and hub is exact same distance, I have a 3.08 rear end fresh with new drums on it from a Wrangler, this is going to happen! The perches are under as pointed out, but it is damned close to the same pinion angle if not THE same. But will keep the measurements the same there, may have to have the driveline u joint issue done at the local drive line shop.

-
Back