worried

-

duster340

street racer
Reaction score
a few years i had a problem with making burnouts that problem was easily solved with a 4barrel and an performer manifold on my 318 then i got myself wider tires of course bigger tires should make more smoke and some more traction for those redlght races..., thats wat i thougt and i ended upp with problems doing smokey burnouts didnt have enough power but plenty of traction so i aimed for a 340 and lots of extra power from a radical rollercam ported heads lots of compresion you know the deal, drove with that for a year with a useless stock converter and a holleycarb that never liked lowrpms.. plenty of highrpm power but no go from a stand still and of corse no burnouts... got myself a realy nice custombuilt 10" converter and a new carb and right now there is lots of realy BIG burnouts but its hopeless when i try to race someone who has a quick car cas its realy hard to launch it, it goes fairly well at speed to control all that power but not from standing still, so now i am working on the traction problem again and hoping to get bigger tires that ofcourse should make more smoke :evil: anyone having an idea where i am heading? this worries me looks like i will end up with a badass racecar.....please say this is not true ;)

Why would bigger tires make more smoke? Sure there's more tire on the ground when doing a burnout, but it should give you more traction so it should spin less. Less spin = less smoke
Have you tried some soft compound tires.
If I was going to run a leafspring street/strip car, I'd go with Cal tracs and mono leafsprings, then all the traction problems will be solved. Just DON'T use them with super stock springs.

it has all the power neded to spin my current tires till there is no more rpm left ;) i am waiting for a set of hoosier guick time dot tires to show up from a dealer dont knof if they are any better but they cant be worse than my last two sets of MT indy profile tires have tried both H50-14 and G60-14 the G60´s were indy SS ande were better but they were still hopeless abd are dead by know anyway... those H50indys are smoking anytime doesnt matter that my speedo says 40mph they will still break lose if i nail it... anyone think that hoosier will be any better? if they are i will have to get more power!
caltracs and monoleafs are very high on my list right know to bad i didnt buy that used set i found this winter they where only 200dollars if i get more traction i will probably start working on more power again seams like a totaly endles story

ever thought of going with a 15in rim instead? Then stuff the biggest soft compound tire you can fit, probably a 28 x 10.5 x 15, maybe a 28 x 11.5 x 15 tire, but this may hit the front bottom corner of the wheel well, not sure.

I've got 275 15 Firestone Indy 500's on my Swinger now.They hook unbelievably well.My last set were BF Goodrich T A's, and they would just spin, and make lots of smoke. I have these mounted on 7 inch rims with custom backspacing.

ProStreetDuster said:
ever thought of going with a 15in rim instead? Then stuff the biggest soft compound tire you can fit, probably a 28 x 10.5 x 15, maybe a 28 x 11.5 x 15 tire, but this may hit the front bottom corner of the wheel well, not sure.
yeah i have thought about doing that but its also fun to be diferent and 14" rims are diferent today;)
i wil probably need to change over for 15" rims with time anyway but i am avoiding this so far..
and those 275/55D14 hoosiers should be better than what i have right now ihope..

thats exactly what i want to do! got to get som more monney but that seems like the stuff i need! is the competion enginering slide a link just as good or are those the best? its easier for mee to order competion enginering from my work, but only the best will do!

ok have to save some more money then! would love to get some traction again so i can start working on more power, hopeless situation to realy love to feel raw horsepower! but it seems like caltracs are the ticket to get traction!

yesterday i got a good price on a 4.10 geared 81/4" inch rear, so i bought it, put it under my car, let out some more air out of my rear tires took a short drive to get everything warmed up and cant here anything strange it workd as suposed then i start som testing at a very good place where i do lots of testing of starting, and and those 4.10 gears realy makes a diferense... the sad thing is that after maybee 6-7 starts i feel comfortable with it and realy gives it all it can take without loosing traction trying to find the limit, BIG BANG half an hour later in the garage i find that there is nothing left worth caling a ring gear...... later i had a walk with my dog and when i walk by the place i use to test on i can see that there has been some small oil leeks.. gues the rearend housing started to flex and thats why the gears died... i am very close to give up and let it all be until i get a better rear.. i still have my old rear in the garage but it feels soo bad when i put a lot of efort into geting something done and then it just breaks.... :sad11: ](*,)

Cal Tracs all the way!!!!!!!

Caltrac's 001-1.jpg

that looks realy good! now i need to locate a stronger axle or one of those diferential covers suports the housing to, i know who makes them and the price it will probably just take me some time to get enough money to do it all right this time...

ProStreetDuster said:
ok now i have a set of 26x10.5 x15" MT sportsman pro tires lying in my garage just waiting for payday so i can get a set of 15"rims to:) i chose 26" to be on the safe side did som carefull measeuring of my wheel wells and 28"tall seemed to be very close to that front left corner:) thanks alot for the tips i will get back to this when i have tryed out how the tires worked out:)

If your going to keep making your car faster (which we all try to do LOL), you should try to find an 8 3/4 rear end. You could even throw a housing brace and aftermarket axles on it just as some added strength if you have the extra cash.
This may be overkill for now, but eventually you may need it. If your already blowing up that 8 1/4 rear end, then what's going to happen to it, when you get some more HP or hook up better?
Good Luck

ProStreetDuster said:
If your going to keep making your car faster (which we all try to do LOL), you should try to find an 8 3/4 rear end. You could even throw a housing brace and aftermarket axles on it just as some added strength if you have the extra cash.
This may be overkill for now, but eventually you may need it. If your already blowing up that 8 1/4 rear end, then what's going to happen to it, when you get some more HP or hook up better?
Good Luck

think you are right, since my 340 started to make som real power it could be some good mooney spent to get a better axle or a suprot and better drivaxles in my existing one...
trying to make a fast streetcar with full interior and not so much vissible things telling the car is fast..

Hi Duster340- If you want a real inexpensive way to hook up better you may try this. Get 4 pieces of 1/4 steel stock approximately 2" x 4", drill 3/8" holes in each end of each piece and clamp them with bolts on your leaf springs about 4" ahead of your axle. Make sure to clamp all the leaves. Also use the longest shock you can get(about 24" fully extended). You should hook up better with this small modification. Kudos to you guys in Europe ,we`re bitchin about gas over $2.00 a gallon.Good luck,John.

Longgone said:
Hi Duster340- If you want a real inexpensive way to hook up better you may try this. Get 4 pieces of 1/4 steel stock approximately 2" x 4", drill 3/8" holes in each end of each piece and clamp them with bolts on your leaf springs about 4" ahead of your axle. Make sure to clamp all the leaves. Also use the longest shock you can get(about 24" fully extended). You should hook up better with this small modification. Kudos to you guys in Europe ,we`re bitchin about gas over $2.00 a gallon.Good luck,John.

sounds intresting! i will try that one, so its suposed to clamp the leafs togheter to make the front section of the leafsprings stiffer?
uea gas is realy expensive but its worth it:)

Hello duster340- I don`t know if you`ll visit this thread again, but I just saw where Mopar Performance has a kit with those spring brackets for around 29 dollars. You might check them out if you don`t have access to the materials to make them.-John

The Sportsman Pros probably wont hook that great. The Hoosier quick Times I ran hooked OK (325-50-15s) but they dried up and the sidewalls cracked in 6 months. The 275-60-15 M/T ET Street Radials I run now hook great and ride a ton better.

You should be able to get a 28" tall tire in there. My car seems to have the room for a 29" tire. Be ready to start breaking more ring gears when it hooks though.

dont care soo much if things brake or blow occasionaly as long as it hooks and then runs hard the rest of the trach;) made some measuring and found that 28" would be verry close to the front of the wheelwell:(

i am goning to have a look at mopar performace clamps for my springs and put the money on the caltracs as i get more money so i can afford them things cost a little bit more when i have to order them across the atlantic:(

-
Back