Worth narrowing an 8 3/4"?

-

moparfreak77

Reaction score
Not any places around me that narrows rearends, what is something like that worth? I have an 8 3/4" 489, 3.23, out of a mid 70s dodge pickup. Is it better to get the axles cut or buy new ones? I can get an 8 1/4" (2.72?) abody rear for my 68 valiant and a set of 3.23 gears locally for $300. Thanks.

hard to say what your prices are up there but around me it's $250 to get a housing narrowed and axles cut down and re-splined. As far as should you cut down axles and re-spline them or buy new, buying new is always better. I have been told by experienced guys that cutting down and re-splining axles is a no no but I have personally known a few guys that run re-splined axles in pretty fast cars. One is a buddy that has cut down axles in a 67 Cuda that I built an engine for and it runs low 11's. I never thought re-splined axles would take that much abuse but it's been 4 yrs. since he did it and their still holding.

it cost me 225 to get one cut down . He also fixed the geometry of it. Said it was common for factory rear ends to be caddy wampum.....or something like that...haha, auto spell check....

I believe only C-body axles are long enough to narrow to A-body specs. The rest can't because of where the taper at the end is.

Any place that narrows housings should have fixtures to do it properly.

People have used certain B-body housings ('67-'70?) which are a little wider than an A-body, but then you have to find the right offest wheels to get them in the narrow wheelwells.

Couldn't hurt to ask, but perhaps SMR Transmissions in Ontario could provide a lead. He races a Super Stock Dakota. Good people! About 8 - 10 years ago I drove up to Cayuga from Florida for an IHRA national event. Unfortunately, my 904 trans started slipping during the first time run. He replaced the clutches and checked the rest for a reasonable amount at the track, between rounds, while racing in SS! I got it back & installed in time for eliminations the next day. Made it to the 1/4 finals!

http://smrtrans.tripod.com/smrtransmissionsintro/

Maybe he'll remember me & that race.

-
Back