WOT kick down missing.

-

henrikolsson

Reaction score
Hello!
Last autumn i bought my 73 duster with a 727 transmission in it.
when i received the car the tv linkage wasn't hooked up, so i tensioned it up and then i got the WOT kick down working, but it slipped between second and third shift. When i struggled with the correct tv adjustment the throttle cable broke. I then purchased a lokar throttle and tv cable with their brackets and all. A have now completed the assembly, and got it to shift much nicer than before, no slipping and part throttle downshift works like a charm. the problem is with full throttle kick down... there is non. anybody know how i could adress this problem?

.H

It has to be in your adjustment
Whatever way you went to go the oposite

Thank you tekslk, but i tension´d it so when i reached WOT the transmission lever also was as far as it could, and than lacking of a little at the time. i never had the kick down to work.

Betcha the line pressure is a bit too low.
It can be adjusted with the pressure regulator valve on the Valve body if need be.
That "used to slip" comment has me a little concerned though, as it doesn't take much slipping to make a mess fast.

In addition to possible low line pressure that TB mentioned I've seen a lot of problems due to the 1-2 and 2-3 shift valve springs in the valve body loosing tension due to heat and age. When they get old and soft they shift sooner and you loose WOT kickdown at highway speeds. Wish I could tell you where to get new springs but I have no idea.

Doesn't the TF2 shift kit come with both of those springs as replacements?
I can't remember.

And yes Tracy, apparently I'm following you around. :-D

Not really, threads like this just catch my eye I guess.

I can't remember.

LOL, no problem...:D

No, it comes with some other springs but no shift valve springs. Wish it did. That'd sure solve a lot of shift timing problems

Thanks fellas, i will try to adjust the line pressure. and if that´s not solving my problem the transmission will be rebuild this winter. i´ll make sure to replace the valve springs. It´s a real asset to have you out there!

I can't remember.

They used to catch my eye too. Now I just let um slide.

Thanks fellas, i will try to adjust the line pressure. and if that´s not solving my problem the transmission will be rebuild this winter. i´ll make sure to replace the valve springs. It´s a real asset to have you out there!

It's also possible it may be out of a "granny car" and have a real low rpm governor. If the other tricks don't work check into the governor. A&A sells governors for higher upshift in 200 rpm stages all the way to 6000 rpm. The higher the rating on the governor the more responsive the kickdown will be

I have now bought a torque wrench, the square socket was not a pies of cake to find... but anyway, i have adjusted the front band. This did not improve the kick down, the car still shifts really nice, but even if i put the pedal to the metal from standing, it does not pull the gears or give a kick down in higher speeds. I saw in another thread that it could improve shifting to drill a new hole in the tv lever to speed upp the lever movement, but it is not the shifting that is the problem huh?. Could it still be a good idea? the other thing is... should i go back to the original linkage and throttle wire, and throw away the expensive Lokar pieces that would suppose to solv my problems... Another thought, could it be something connected to the tv lever that is stuck or broke inside the transmission?

Sounds to me like you are trying everything but fixing the actual problem.
Take it in and get a line pressure test done.

The front band is called the kickdown band but it has nothing at all to do with the transmission kicking down into lower gears when you floor it. The only thing the front band does is apply to lock the front drum which gives you 2nd gear. Mopar should have never called it the kickdown band because it's confusing to those who don't know torqueflite's. We never said anything about checking it anyway. Throwing away the Lokar cable and going back to the old stuff isn't going to fix the problem. If you have it set so that the trans. lever is in fact being pulled all the way back at WOT absolutely nothing you do with the throttle linkage will fix your problem. I have never seen anything broken in the valve body throttle pressure area. Those parts are so tough you could barely break them with a 3 lb sledge hammer. Re-read what we said earlier. Those are the only things that will affect it. As TB just reiterated the line pressure test is the first thing to check.

Problem solved!!
I tried to reposition the tv-cable further away from the pivot point on the carburetor. The reson was to receive a quicker motion on the wire. that helped, i got the kick down back. Then i put it back on the original position, and drilled a new hole on the lever on the transmission instead. the conclusion must be that the lokar tv cable and bracket for the 727 transmission doesn't always get the right ratio for the tv lever. //Henrik

I must thank you and commend you on returning and updating the thread. Most folks don't do that.

Glad you figured it out.

Thank's, i've had great help from complete threads myself. And i would have saved alot of hours if i found a tread like this. Just hope that this could help somone else. //Henrik

-
Back