Would anyone like to trade heads?

-

Rockerdude

Rock n' Roll and A-bodies
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a trade for a set of magnum heads and possibly a magnum 4 barrel intake. I have a set of fresh 915 J heads that have had fresh valve jobs, new red mopar springs good to a 509 cam, and stock 1.88/1.60 valves. I also have the cast aluminum mopar performance valve covers, stock rockers and shafts, push rods, and a new Wieand Stealth intake that matches the heads that are on my motor too. The whole combo probably doesn't have 200 miles on it. Im just looking to boost the compression a bit on my 318, and wanted to see if anyone would be interested in a trade. Send me a PM if you want to talk.

How much would I have to take off them? What else would I need to do after that? Shorten the pushrods? Thanks for the reply.

The first engine I built was a 283 chevy and I had the block decked .050 for more compression. The rockers chattered bad after that... haha. Good thing I learned on a chevy.

1Wilds' suggestion makes sense - Just how much you mill off depends on your intial static compression and what you want to achieve.

Up side with milling is:

- Cost
- retain existing combo ( no need for new rockers, valve covers etc)
- simple process
- take advantage of intake off and port match

Downside is:

- Unported J's probably don't flow quite as well as Magnums.
- Intake will probably need milling dependig on how much you skim off
- You may need to run adjustable rocker gear.

Others may chime in with more.....

How much would I have to take off them? What else would I need to do after that? Shorten the pushrods? Thanks for the reply.

Even blindly 'without cc'n them' I would mill .040 off of them and .040 off the intake face of the heads as well for proper fit.

But it would be better to cc them, then on the other hand...you can get thick and thin head gaskets to fine tune the compression ratio if say u end up a lil smaller than u wanted.

I would get them down to 64cc

Here are some un ported stock 1.88 int valve head flow numbers
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=145748&highlight=360+head+trip

Interesting.. Do you have any flow numbers on the stock magnum head? I imagine with the stock 1.92 intake valve its a bit better than the stock J head. Also I like the idea of the chamber shape on the magnums.

I agree with Wild,run what ya got.How far in hole are your pistons,what cam you running.basically what your build right now?

Interesting.. Do you have any flow numbers on the stock magnum head? I imagine with the stock 1.92 intake valve its a bit better than the stock J head. Also I like the idea of the chamber shape on the magnums.
Check out Hughe web site they have some flow comparisons:
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...el1=Q3lsaW5kZXIgSGVhZHMsIElyb24=&partid=25426

The engine quest and RHS head are better quality than the stock magnum and not prone to cracking between the seats.

Not sure the chamber shape will help much with factory flat tops.

I've considered a thinner head gasket, but likely the compression will still be low due to the +/-70cc chambers. The deck height was not the best either from what I remember. The pistons are the TRW forged ones.

-
Back