Would like an estimate

-

Denvermike

Reaction score
I have a 66 Barracuda with a 360/727. The rear end is a 8 1/4". The engine may make about 280 HP at the flywheel. Does anyone have an estimate or a good guess at the cost of a new drive line? I'm sure the OE from the /6, 904, 7 1/4" can't be used in any way.
Thanks
Mike

Hard to say. Need more info.Just guessing here.Any of the slant 6 stuff is useless,,BUT 360/727/8 1/4 is a good setup for your 66.What we don't know is ,,Is it in the car ? and we're not too sure what you mean by "Driveline cost"?? Do you mean drive shaft ? or the price of the 360/727/8 1/4 combo? Love to help if we can.

Assume the engine and trans are in the car. As is the rear end. The rear end has a "large Chrysler" yoke.(I think that is what it is called) The drive line would include the fitting that slips in the trans, the front u-joint, the front fitting welded to the prop tube, the tube itself, rear fitting welded to the prop tube , and the rear u-joint .
Hopes that is what you need.
Mike

Assume the engine and trans are in the car. As is the rear end. The rear end has a "large Chrysler" yoke.(I think that is what it is called) The drive line would include the fitting that slips in the trans, the front u-joint, the front fitting welded to the prop tube, the tube itself, rear fitting welded to the prop tube , and the rear u-joint .
Hopes that is what you need.
Mike

AKA, driveshaft.

Easiest thing to do is find a driveshaft that has a 727 slip yoke on it. Find a shop that can shorten and balance it.

The rear U joint, if the shaft and the rear yoke are the same is a matter of buying the correct U joint.

IF the yoke on the shaft is a different size than the one on the rear, buy a conversion U joint, it has two caps one size and two caps the other size. Cost is dependent on what the shop charges to shorten the driveshaft. U joints aren't that expensive.

I had my shaft shortened, balanced and installed two new U joints for around 140.00

I reused mine from the /6. My 'Shorten and balance' $175. Total rip off. The second time around I did it myself. Works great!

-
Back