Would somebody please read this spark plug for me?

-

340_833 dart

Reaction score
This goes back to my thread about my car not running well on 91 octane.
I just pulled a plug and got a picture of it. All the plugs look like this.
I've looked at several charts on various Internet sites but none look like this.
Thanks.

plug.jpg

doesnt look to bad but you are getting a fair bit of detonation you must get your timming set right or you are going to break rings .

Dat's a Buster Poindexter plug... HOT HOT HOT.

Go to a really cold plug, like a Champion N19V (890). Part of your detonation issues is that plug - glowing like a glow plug in a diesel.

B.

So, the consensus is that the engine is detonating?
Spark plugs will be easy enough to fix.
I just bumped up the primary jets from 70s to 74s.
One thing I noticed when I took the primary fuel off was that the gasket had slipped at the top center and was not sealing the bowl. Would that cause the engine to run lean?

No that gasket wouldn't cause a problem, except maybe spill fuel. The bowls are kept at atmospheric pressure. If it had slipped where the accelerator pump circuit crosses over from the bowl to the body, that would be a problem.

have you had you distriburare out lately im wondering if you have a weight stiking open you coler is good buy you are detotation like crazy i cay your problem is in your distributar.

the specs are piston material from pinging/detonating.

the color is rich

the timing may be too much cause there is no color change on the ground strap, which to me says that you have a lot of timing, or 'though very unlikely' not enough.

the ceramic could be almost white up top, it's the lower portion that needs a lil color wether it tan or grey'ish 'todays gas color'

the idle could be too fat as well being that there is soot build up on the base ring, you want the base ring to be black'ish, but not sooty....u also want to see some metal discoloration 2 threads down from the base ring as well., that shows about the right heat range....cause remember, just cause a low compression engine might be detonating...doesnt mean the plug is necessarily too hot, it could just be the heat generated by too much timing...and then the ping that can follow.

I say buy new plugs, or a t least one...so that u can get a better read...those look really old, and who knows whats been changed in the tune since they were installed....plugs cant clean themselves as well or at all when they've been fouled enough.

-
Back