Would you do this?

-

cpthowdy1369

Reaction score
Hey guys, If a muscle car parts store opened in your town that sold the same stuff that Year One and The Paddok sell, would you rather go to the new store or still order your parts from Year One and The Paddok?

i would go local save shipping also might get what you need that day i pray one opens here in Maryland

As a dealer for Year One etc I can tell you that (at least) "I" can't buy from them cheap enough that I could absorb the cost of shipping. As I said in a FBBO thread, with all the discount codes they offer individuals can buy a lot of parts CHEAPER than DEALERS can. And the reason "they" give for not selling to the dealers as cheaply as an individual is "You get a discount all the time"

local...I try to always support the local small business....but in hawaii...its tough...no many mopar supporters

Depends on if the prices are higher at the local store. If not then I'd go with them for sure without a doubt ! Also you would be supporting a business close to you that you could possibly rely on when you need the hard to get parts, or possibly parts that a local Auto Zone or Advance Auto can't supply for our cars.

Two things:

Price: If the price was about the same (maybe even I little bit more), I always go with the local speed shop.

Customer Service: If the local speed shop takes care of me or at least makes me feel like thy are, they will get my business. If not, I'll go to mail-order parts houses. Luckily, We still have two operating in the area that have been in business for approx. 45-50 years/ea and are very good about how they treat their customers.

Thanks for your input guys. I am in the beginning planning stages of trying to open up a store here in San Antonio that only sells the 66-74 muscle car parts. Kind of like an Auto Zone for muscle cars(mainly mopar but chevy and ford parts will be there too). You know, somewhere where you could just walk in and buy the restoration or performance part that you need without having to order the damn thing and wait a week for it to show up.

Its a great idea. Hopefully the demographic is there to support it- make sure you do some research as far as what people around there are doing/building You're not going to be able to please everyone but I'm sure you can most. I would most definitely buy from the local guy that knows my name when I walk in.

If Paddock opened a store next to my house and gave me everything for free, I'd still burn it down !
Years ago I ordered a trunk dress up kit and a A/C condenser for my 73 Sport.
The 73 condenser is a 1 year only piece that the dryer attaches to.
I got a 72 condenser instead and the trunk dress up kit looked like I got the scraps from when they did a kit for another car. After various calls that led nowhere, I went to their store in St. Petersburg, Fl only to find out they had shut it down.

I would buy it from a parts store. Even if it was a little more. It would be nice to see what it is your buying. Some times I wan't to buy sothing from them but don't know if it will work on my car. It took me a long time to find a gas cap for my car. Did not wan't to spend the money on somthing I did not know would work on my car. Till I went to last years spring fling. I found one I thought would work. The guy was nice enouf to let me test fit it.

Damn, who can aford to buy at either one on a regular basis, they are way high for me. I wouldn't shop there much if they were in town.

I'd buy local if I had the chance and the prices were within 10 to 20 percent. I prefer to keep my money local and support someone I can look in the eye.

Customer service means everything too. Make sure your guys are polite and can spend time with thier customers and that you have enough of them.

I wish you the best and I hope everything works out for you. :)

Local small business, unless there was too much of a price difference. I get my Harley parts from a small little independent shop. He orders them from the same catalogs I would, and it costs me about the same, but I'm all for supporting the local economy

If the prices were at least close, I would buy from you.
I am a touchy feely type also.

I like to support local business. I am lucky enough to have Jacks auto parts not to far from me so I can take a 30 minute drive and I am like a kid in a candy store. It saves on shipping, you know you are getting the right parts because you can see them first, you know you are not getting damaged parts because you can see them first. And, if most places will rather take a few bucks off than lose a sale, so if the part is cheaper at Year one, show them the catalog...maybe they will match the price.

We had one here aboout 15 years ago that was called Automotive West. It was a cool restoration parts and speed parts shop. There are alot of racing fans and restoration fans in the area and one would have thought that it was a profitable business. Nope. They had to shut their doors because they couldnt stay ahead of the money game. Now that was 15 years ago.... probably worse today. No one has tried to fill that void in the area either. Just food for thought for ya. I personally like the idea, but it would have to make sense to open a shop.

-RPM

-
Back