WOW....All I need is a good wax and my car might be presentable....

-

gtgto

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Bought my 70 340 Duster back in February from AZ. It had been sitting outside for a while in the dry AZ heat. It took its toll on the paint and dash. Since I won't be painting it for a while I figured I would wash it and give the Mothers Clay Bar system a try before a nice wax job. The paint is really tired and oxidized but I figured it could only get better looking. After washing it and using the clay bar on the drivers side fender I noticed a huge difference. It took a few hours and I did the drivers side of the car and 3/4 of the deck lid. I will hopefully get time to finish the rest tomorrow. I don't own a buffing wheel so whats the next best thing to use after I'm done clay barring it. Whats do you guys and gals use as the wax of choice that I can buy over the counter?
I'll post some before and after pics of the passenger side when I'm done

Last edited:
We've had great luck with the new Barrett Jackson wax and you can find it at Walmart, auto zone ect.

Bought my 70 340 Duster back in February from AZ. It had been sitting outside for a while in the dry AZ heat. It took its toll on the paint and dash. Since I won't be painting it for a while I figured I would wash it and give the Mothers Clay Bar system a try before a nice wax job. The paint is really tired and oxidized but I figured it could only get better looking. After washing it and using the clay bar on the drivers side fender I noticed a huge difference. It took a few hours and I did the drivers side of the car and 3/4 of the deck lid. I will hopefully get time to finish the rest tomorrow. I don't own a buffing wheel so whats the next best thing to use after I'm done clay barring it. Whats do you guys and gals use as the wax of choice that I can buy over the counter?
I'll post some before and after pics of the passenger side when I'm done

I've washed my '68 with Comet in the green can for the last 15 years. It says right on the can, will not scratch delicate surfaces.

Do it on a small lower panel using a wet terry cloth hand towel in the shade. Sprinkle some cleaner on the wet clothes and use small circular motions. Rinse well while wiping off the surface with your hand.

Dry it and see what you think. It's nothing short of amazing on light colored cars. I use it on chrome, glass, rubber and plastic. Never had an issue. It will look like someone spent a week buffing and polishing your car.

Once you are done, add an ounce of kerosine to a few gallons of warm water, splash it all over the car and buff dry. The old in the kerosine will make water bead up, keep bugs and tar from sticking and make it shine like you spent another week waxing and protecting all the rubber and painted surfaces.

Takes about an hour to do the whole car. Been doing old light colored cars like,this for nearly 4 decades. Learned it from an retired Cadillac dealer. Don't use it on dark colored cars or in the sun.

image.jpeg

I have used Surf City Garage products for 10 years now. As for wax I use their Barrier Reef® Carnauba Paste Wax, it is easy to use and the shine lasts for a long time.

Who would've thought about using Comet? I will have to give it a try in the future.....I ended up buying a paste wax in a small tin called Best of Show made by Griots garage....It wasn't cheap and for some reason it caught my eye. It was easy to apply and come off....I'm pretty happy with the results. Take a look at the before and after pics.....Total time was about 8 hours to wash, clay bar and wax the entire car. It looks so good its now worthy of the cover my son bought for me for Christmas.....Here are the pics
IMG_2440.JPG
IMG_2619[2].JPG

Looks great, Groits has great products, just a little pricey at times.

I read somewhere that chemicals in detergents is the main cause of pitting in pot metal trim parts.
I don't know if that is true or still applies to todays environmentally friendly detergents. Just because and incase... I'll choose the clay bar over the Comet cleanser.
As for wax, seems about 95% of what's on the shelf today contains "space age micro polymers".
That's fine if you don't want to wax often, ( remember those 52 car washes commercials ? ).
The old school "no polymers" products are still available. These require more frequent applications.
Which is better for OEM single stage enamel ? I never found a definitive answer for that one. So I stick with the old school Turtle Wax ( carnauba wax ).

-
Back