Wrinkles reappear on recently installed vinyl top, how to remove.

-

813Demon340

Reaction score
I installed the vinyl top on my duster 4 months ago. I made sure to work it down to keep the bubbles out. I used the 3M super trim adhesive to glue it down. After sitting for awhile these wrinkles started to appear. I removed the trim pulled the vinyl up and reglued the area, again carefully working it down to minimize air bubbles. I even used a roller to work it down. But after it sits for a bit these reappear.
How can you remove these?
I was told that using a heat gun may work. IF so do I need to re-glue the area when doing so? Its been about 2 months since I glued it.
Is there a stronger adhesive to use?
Should I just take it to a shop and have the top redone?
Any help would be welcomed. Its the last thing to keep me from installing the glass.

Attachments

• Vtop.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 229
hair dryer or heat gun (carefully) to shrink up the vinyl. a few days in the hot sun may make them disappear on their own. Another post mentioned a iron on top of a wet towel but you cant see your progress like a radiant heat source.

Its time in the sun has been pretty limited. Mainly a few hours here and there. Will the heat gun also cause the adhesive to become pliable/ sticky again?

What I'm seeing is a pucker caused by a radius. The material will shrink with heat. A heat gun will work. Using the heat gun on scrap material would give you an idea what it takes to overheat the vinyl but other soft parts nearby might go bad a lot sooner.
Be aware of any seal rubber or interior plastics close to where you apply the heat.

-
Back