-
Status
Not open for further replies.

2Big

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
can someone sell me a sure grip not the cone type I live in Denver colorado it will go into a 8.75 diff or a good limited slip that can handle a stroked big block

He did say stroked big block, and I am still assuming that there was a reason they did this.

Just sayin

Who is "they". Mopar sold Hemi cars with automatics and 8 3/4's I'm not argueing that a 8 3/4 is stronger than a dana 60, just capable. I ran 6.04 in 1/8 for several seasons with a 8 3/4.

Mr. Riv,
Since he asked about what would handle a stroked big block I think you are still on subject.

And since you clearly have more information than I do I will bow to your superior knowledge.

So is there is difference in limited slip units or is the weak link in the pinion size.

can someone sell me a sure grip not the cone type I live in Denver colorado it will go into a 8.75 diff or a good limited slip that can handle a stroked big block

I would consult a professional that specializes in this, like Dr. Diff for instance.
You would be better off in the long run.
Just my 2 bits worth.
Tom.

To me pinion size is the most important. Therefore if you choose an 8 3/4 best choice is a #742 case. Second best choice in an 8 3/4 would be the #489 case. The Dana 60 is stronger, but typically much more pricey. Mopar installed these in hipo big block and Hemi 4 spd cars only because of the shock loads in dumping the clutch at a high RPM from a standing start. All others got an 8 3/4 as mentioned above in other postings. The best Posi units are the clutch type, manufactured by Dana and used until 1969 approx. After that Mopar switched to a cone type built by Borg-Warner. While horsepower is always a factor in parts longevity, driving style/use matters more. Either type rear/posi will live well behind an automatic, generally speaking, because a typical converter allows slip which decreases the shock load to the driveline on a typical launch from a starting line or traffic light. I raced a small pinion #741 case 8 3/4 (considered by many to be to weak for heavy abuse) behind a max wedge style built 440 (12.50 ET street trim/11.60's on slicks) for many seasons without any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back