WTB: Neutral harmonic balancer...

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you need one for a small block or big block. If for the small block, the early style or later style? I have a couple of nice OEM early style small block ones.

Ken
Edison, NJ

Do you need one for a small block or big block. If for the small block, the early style or later style? I have a couple of nice OEM early style small block ones.

Ken
Edison, NJ

How "early" are you talking? What are the differences?

What Ken is asking is are your timing marks on drivers or pass side. Depends on the timing cover which balancer you use

The early ones up to 1970 I believe were timed on the passenger side and the later ones are on the driver side. The balancer and front timing cover must go together.

The 360 engines are usually externally balanced and using a neutral type balancer will cause vibrations. Are you sure that your crank was balanced using heavy metal to make it internally balanced?

Ken

It now depends on the front timing cover. What side are the timing marks on? That will determine the correct balancer that you need.

Ken

i have one for him, just waiting to get back from vacation to send picture

Timing marks are on drivers side. I was thinking about $20.00 for a stock balancer. I think Summit has a new one for 79.00. but I'll look at the pictures.

Mine are the earlier ones with the timing marks on the passenger side. Maybe 35regal can help.

Good luck in the hunt.

Ken

One other thing to know is that the earlier balancers, (not sure of year change) had asymmetrical holes for the pulley. If you get a symmetrical balancer you can just modify one of the pulley holes.

I found this out with a 78 360 using a 69 318 pulley. So the change may have been in the mid 70's.

valentek

heres 2 pics 40.00 shipped, it weighs a few pounds, shipped ups

P8160004.jpg

P8160005.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back