wtf **^%$

-

rick_rawker

Reaction score
Does anyone sale a front brake drums for a 64 Dart anymore. I get rears and rears and rears. 9 by 2 1/2 needed.

I talked to Bendix and their part number listed PDR0178 is WRONG. This is the crossover number that ALL the stores are using for their listing. Drew Mitchell assured me that they would take measures to correct this problem. I am holding my breath...Understand, I have two days off a month. I planed to do the brake job by ordering all the parts. I jack the car up, r and r the brakes then looked at my drum out of the box in dis-belief. (I am a dumbass for not looking at the store) Ok. Then, put old sh*t back on and drive back to the store. It was not fun for them. After searching two more stores, they ALL showed the same wrong part. All rear drums. That is when I called Bendix and spent two hours talking my way up to Drew who will fix their listing. Maybe it will help someone else. Still can't find the right hubs though ! Maybe no-one makes them anymore ? JEEZ !

I talked to Bendix and their part number listed PDR0178 is WRONG. This is the crossover number that ALL the stores are using for their listing. Drew Mitchell assured me that they would take measures to correct this problem. I am holding my breath...Understand, I have two days off a month. I planed to do the brake job by ordering all the parts. I jack the car up, r and r the brakes then looked at my hub out of the box in dis-belief. (I am a dumbass for not looking at the store) Ok. Then, put old sh*t back on and drive back to the store. It was not fun for them. After searching two more stores, they ALL showed the same wrong part. All rear drums. That is when I called Bendix and spent two hours talking my way up to Drew who will fix their listing. Maybe it will help someone else. Still can't find the right hubs though ! Maybe no-one makes them anymore ? JEEZ !

I know for a fact that wildcat auto wrecking in Sandy, OR has used ones. they have stacks and stacks of them. I know it wont be brand new but im sure they have something that would work just fine. they ship parts all the time.

Lemme get this right, you need a front hub for your 64 Dart and its sbp and 9" brakes? If I am right pm me, I might can hook you up.

Your question confused me, so I googled PDR0178 and find that is a brake DRUM, not a HUB. You would normally only replace the HUB if the bearing race spun and ruined it. Look on rockauto. They show many drums from multiple manufacturers. I doubt they are all wrong. Your factory manual should specify the drum size (I forgot). Last time I looked, 9" drums for early A's are widely available and cheap. Lucky you don't need a 10" rear drum.

Hub and drums are swaged together from MaMopar but you can only get a brake drum when you order parts. There is a tool to remove the swage if it hasn't already been removed prior but it is expensive. Most people remove the stud heads from inside the hub, knock out the old studs from the back and then install new studs with a new drum.

I had to have a shop press out the old studs when I changed mine. I had two brand new drums with cylinders that I tossed because no body wanted them because of shipping costs.

I had the same issue when I had a bearing race go bad on me - all I was getting was the drum. Found out what Oklacarcollecto said - the drums are seperate from the center part. At that point I just upgraded to front disc brakes with the larger bolt pattern because I couldn't find the center part. I already had most of the parts so i went ahead and swapped out the parts. Sorry to hear they haven't fixed this for you yet - it was years ago for me!

I talked to Bendix and their part number listed PDR0178 is WRONG. This is the crossover number that ALL the stores are using for their listing. Drew Mitchell assured me that they would take measures to correct this problem. I am holding my breath...Understand, I have two days off a month. I planed to do the brake job by ordering all the parts. I jack the car up, r and r the brakes then looked at my drum out of the box in dis-belief. (I am a dumbass for not looking at the store) Ok. Then, put old sh*t back on and drive back to the store. It was not fun for them. After searching two more stores, they ALL showed the same wrong part. All rear drums. That is when I called Bendix and spent two hours talking my way up to Drew who will fix their listing. Maybe it will help someone else. Still can't find the right hubs though ! Maybe no-one makes them anymore ? JEEZ !

Now I get a call back from Drew, and he says the part number is right. He checked with the supplier and this drum ( PDR0178 ) is the correct one. It will need bearings and stud bolts, and that IS what I am looking for. The other drums like O'reily sold me listed for the front, are for the rear only. They are a 'hat'. No place to even install bearings.

I think you are still mis-understanding terms. What you call a "hat" is the "drum". The "hub" is the smaller center piece that holds the bearings and has the wheel studs pressed in. The hub is usually re-usable. I doubt you could find a new one. The bearings are very common. I recall they are Timken "SET1" & "SET3" for the 9" spindles, which is National AP1 & AP3, but check rockauto. Order carefully, because often the bearing "cone" doesn't come with the "race" (hence the "SET" PN). In 1973+ front disks, the "rotor" and "hub" are a single piece, but that is uncommon in most cars.

If your front drum has never been removed since the car left the factory, it doesn't come off as easy since the factory swaged the studs to hold the drum on. "Swage" means they crimped little dimples in the studs. Most cars would have had the drums changed by now. If not, you can remove the swages many ways. In the junkyard, I once beat the studs out with a hammer. The old drum tore the swages off, so the studs came out the hub without damaging it. You could probably cut them off with a Dremel drill w/ metal-cutting wheel. There was a shop tool to cut them, that I understand fit over the wheel stud (never saw one). Another way might be to cut the studs flush (hacksaw), then drill into them past the swage. You then need to get the hub off the drum, since it is held/rusted at the center hole. The classic method is to the throw the drum down in an asphalt parking lot (usually a closed business), like an upside-down cup, until the hub drops out.

You can get replacement studs at most auto parts stores. Most have a "stud kit" under the counter. Might be smart to use all right-hand thread today.

-
Back