x heads on a 360??

-

woody30

woody30
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is this feasable?? I have a 360 short block all ready to go except for heads. I just picked up a Formula S 340 Barracuda that the motor is set up in. Don't know if the block is any good. Would these work on the 360 without modifications. I know they will bolt on but the 340 and 360 have some differences. The 340's chamber is different because the sit out of the hole, right?? Just wondering if compression would be different. I know the heads will have to be checked and probably new guides and hardened seats also besides the usual valve job. Might be cost effective to just bite the bullet and get a set of Eddy's or RHS and sell the X's, I don't know .Any input would be appreciated.

Depends on what you have for pistons and what deck height they are At. As far
As 340 and 360 heads, the early 360 heads are basically the same with 1.88 intake valve. Compression would be about the same with either head on a 360. Get your x heads cced and measure how far down pistons are in the bore to determine your compression ratio.

Woody, you asked the question I was thinking...I have an 84 D150 with a 360 and was wondering about putting my "spare" x heads on it. Thanks!

Getting those x heads rebuilt will get over halfway to the cost of a new set of
Rhs heads ready to bolt on.rhs are a closed chamber and will bump up your compression as long as your pistons are compatible.

Yeah, I know. Have been thinking about that. Have a buddy that is a mechanic that had a machine shop and still does stuff on the side. I can probably get them done cheaper than most. Only problem is, he's a chevy guy and a damned good one. Done mostly bowtie stuff. Anything different on Mopars?? Shouldn't be much different doing valve guides and seats should it? Valve job is a valve job, right??

x-heads will work fine on a 360. The compression difference will not be that much. Not like putting them on a 318 However, since some 360's had only 8:1 compression, you may want to get a set of pistons to be in the 9.0 - 9.5 range.

... Shouldn't be much different doing valve guides and seats should it? Valve job is a valve job, right??

Angles are a bit different. 15 degree top cut, not 30. 45 degree seat. 70 degree bottom cut, not 60. Do not sink seats for any reason. Install hard seats on exhaust valves if street car. Mill heads to get flat. Mill intake side of head .0095 per .010 on block face of head.

Woody, they will swap right over and work fine.

............U have to make dam sure ur valves all have the same height, which is almost never a problem on a chevy..........kim.

Yep.. ..Nearly every shop nowadays (unless their Mopar specific) doesn't pay any attention to valve stem height, which if not correct will screw the rocker arm geometry all up.

-
Back