X J or TA Heads

-

2nd Dart 67

Reaction score
Not sure if this is in the right section, I apologize if not. I have a 1967 Dart GT and recently bought a complete 340 that I'm building for it. I found the casting numbers for the heads, but the right is different from the left. They do have the same size valves, just not sure why the casting numbers are different unless one was replaced, as long as they will work together than great. Here are the numbers: 2531894 D :::: 3418915 B

From my research it seems that the 253... is originally to the '70 block, however it seems the 341... is a TA head.

Any thoughts or concerns?

Thank you!

Not sure if this is in the right section, I apologize if not. I have a 1967 Dart GT and recently bought a complete 340 that I'm building for it. I found the casting numbers for the heads, but the right is different from the left. They do have the same size valves, just not sure why the casting numbers are different unless one was replaced, as long as they will work together than great. Here are the numbers: 2531894 D :::: 3418915 B

From my research it seems that the 253... is originally to the '70 block, however it seems the 341... is a TA head.

Any thoughts or concerns?

Thank you!

Thoughts or concerns ?
Thoughts.....If you have TA heads,that's great ?
Concerns.....You have them and I don't. :D

Thoughts or concerns ?
Thoughts.....If you have TA heads,that's great ?
Concerns.....You have them and I don't. :D

Well i was more looking for a confirmation that the two head casting numbers are different and can be used together. Not sure only 1 T/A head is going to do any good. lol

Do the one head have the offset rockers? If the intake rocker isnt offset its not a t/a head. I can see someone putting one t/a head on it unless they had both and somehow ruined one so had to go back to an original.

here ya go again...the TA head is nothing but a J head with offset pushrods...the TA head share the same casting number as the 71 J head but not the same part number which is not on the head.

does the head you say is a TA head have adjustable rockers with an offset rocker on the intake...if you answer is no...then it is not a TA head...but J head with the same casting number as noted above.

TA head in stock form offer no performance advance...pushrod is moved out of the way to allow for additional porting of intake...

and most TA heads have an O or U casting..which is just a J head also..picture show the FACTORY TA rockers that fit the TA HEAD,,,,

Attachments

• e8a5_1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 421
The 915 could be a T/A head. Only if the intake rockers are offset like Tony posted AND the pushrod holes are offset drilled.

The 894 head WILL NOT be a T/A head. Most 70 340's came with the 915 casting number J heads. Some 70 340's did have the earlier X heads on them, generally early built engine may have them as to run remaining stock through the assembly line.

There are pics posted of T/A and std heads on this site somewhere regarding the pushrod holes.

WOuld you sell the rockerarms pictured?

yeah..i will sell the picture of the rocker arms...lol

the only TA rockers I have are the ones that are on AARCuda....and that is where they will stay..sorry
picked up a pair of TA rocker shafts off of ebay early this year ....dirt cheap..no one else bid on them...

Attachments

• e265_1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 425
here ya go again...the TA head is nothing but a J head with offset pushrods...the TA head share the same casting number as the 71 J head but not the same part number which is not on the head.

does the head you say is a TA head have adjustable rockers with an offset rocker on the intake...if you answer is no...then it is not a TA head...but J head with the same casting number as noted above.

TA head in stock form offer no performance advance...pushrod is moved out of the way to allow for additional porting of intake...

and most TA heads have an O or U casting..which is just a J head also..picture show the FACTORY TA rockers that fit the TA HEAD,,,,

I understand the offset rocker now. The heads were dissasembled when I got them but do not believe rockets are offset. I will check tonight. One head has an x by spark plug hole. Which tells me X head. Other in question has O by hole.

Here are casting numbers and the years they were used and even what engine they came on . Right out of my mopar engine bible. Click on the pdf file.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.pdf
    933.5 KB · Views: 221
Figure out want to do.500 horsepower,well ported stockie,or Eddys pocket ported.After that,find W2's.W2's the most versatile head made,for a small block Mopar,heavy street/strip style.

Yes sir ree, my direct connection books must be wrong.
Because, well you know, dont believe everything you read.

Cheers : )

Attachments

• mopar books 001.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 326
  • mopar books 003.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 344
  • mopar books 004.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 367
It's wrong. If it said Rosie O'donnell was the sexiest woman in the world, would you believe it because someone took the time to publish it? Just like the A body rear length in some of those is wrong. Look at the rotten exhaust manifold casting number list that has been floating around for 20+ years.

894 X heads were to be stopped on 340's at the end of the 69 model year with remaining inventory to be used during 70 model year. 915 J's were the primary head on 70+ 340 until the 587 was used in 1973. I have and had a couple of engines/cars that were 70 models with 894 X heads, but, the vast majority of 70 model year and EVERY 1971 340 had 915 J heads on them. We had a new 70 Swinger 340 and my neighbors had a 70 Duster 340, the Duster had X heads (picked up first week they were in dealerships), the Dart (Early December built) had an X and a J on it... Go figure

You ever seen an unmolested all original 1971 car with 894's from the factory? Nope, not going to happen!

Why do you think people ask if 915 J head for sale have 2.02 or 1.88 valves? Because they were used on 70-71 engines in 2.02 form and 1.88 on the 1972 model year engines.

This is a case where the service number/manual didn't change numbers when the replacement casting/part did change. It happened quite a bit when a part was superseded.

Believe what you want, those manuals have some bad info regarding part numbers and dimensions.

And don't even get me started on the Chrysler Muscle Car Interchange book.
Wrong part numbers throughout the book.

-
Back