XV Motorsports A-Body Lower Rad Support

-

DEVIOUSDUSTER

Proud Member
Reaction score
Hey all

I had a friend direct me to the XV Motorsports website and while skimming through their products I found a lower radiator support kit.

It looks like a good idea and good investment for a car that will see aggressive street and strip driving.

What do you think?

http://www.xvmotorsports.com/products/detail/index.cfm?nPID=20&cid=40&cdesc=A-Body Products

Video can be found here

[ame]http://www.xvmotorsports.com/media/Chassis%20Stiffening.wmv[/ame]

There are several sources that make basically the same part I bought one from XV, it really stiffens up the front end but also provides a nice jacking point.
attachment.php

Does that interfere with the rad? Doesn't the bottom tank sit down very close to the bottom of the thin stock support? Is the engine compartment side notched for the rad?

Good addition to stiffen up your chassis.

I got mine from Badart hes a FABO member it came with frame caps and braces

Attachments

• Lower%20rad%20support.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 751
  • 003.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 808
good luck buying from XV--thought they were going south and these are no longer available BUT I could be wrong--Steve

Thanks for the input. I see below there are some other threads related to this topic. There is a lot of debate about the effectiveness of a lower rad support especially since the k frame already ties the rails together. If anyone has any experience with installing these and could share any issues they ran into - I'd appreciate it. (I.e stock vs aftermarket radiator mounting)

Thanks!

If you install the lower Rad support like I did without the extensions that come with thier kit, you must use a Crossflow Radiator which was no big deal since I planned on using that style already... if you add the extensions you can use a factory Downflow Radiator but it really hangs below the bumper. Here's some pics to show everything mocked up.
attachment.php

Attachments

• duster%20025.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 826
  • duster%20018.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 749
Thanks Orangewagon. That's exactly te kind of tid bit I was looking for. Appreciate the pics too!

You might want to look at their website. US Car Tool has nice pieces also.

You might want to look at their website. US Car Tool has nice pieces also.

I absolutley love US Car tools products, heck We even bought a project car from them but thier Radiator piece is a totally different piece from XV, XV's piece is heavy wall bent square tubing where the US Car tool is basically a heavier gauge version of the Factory piece somewhat(I wouldn't jack up the car with it) it's really designed to be used with all there other piece to get the full benefit.

I'd run far and fast from XV. Having worked there before I started my place a year and a half ago. They seem close to closing the doors, and were always good at selling things they didn't have...I used the US car tool pieces which I didn't like too much either. US car tool makes essential a cap that goes over the original which I doubt does anything. It is also difficult to weld, before it doesn't conform properly to the OE rad support. The XV piece was a good idea if done properly, mandrel bent box tubing.

I'd run far and fast from XV. Having worked there before I started my place a year and a half ago. They seem close to closing the doors, and were always good at selling things they didn't have...I used the US car tool pieces which I didn't like too much either. US car tool makes essential a cap that goes over the original which I doubt does anything. It is also difficult to weld, before it doesn't conform properly to the OE rad support. The XV piece was a good idea if done properly, mandrel bent box tubing.

I'm glad I got mine a couple years ago....someone should pick up the design and run with it...I like the square box design better than round tubing (looks more factory-ish) IMO.

-
Back