Yeah I know it's a Ford but

-

mischiefdart

Reaction score
This is one of the most out of control cars I have ever driven. It came into my buddy's shop needing repairs. The owner just swapped a 63 Impala small block four speed car for it. Previous owner had it all screwed up and current owner is a guy with more money than skill. I got called in because the mechanics at my buddy's shop could not be trusted to work on a car like this and would be clueless anyhow. I had to replace the intake and timing cover gaskets. The car ran like **** until I backed off the timing about 15 degrees and fixed the giant vacuum leak (no plug on the power brake port on the holley double pumper) and adjusted the carb. It has a stout 351w with cnc ported AFR heads and a T5 trans. This thing was seriously fast and equally unforgiving if you got out of shape. Most fun test drive in at least 25 years

20170618_192610.jpg

20170618_192620.jpg

View attachment 1715058544

View attachment 1715058545

View attachment 1715058546

Last edited:
Imagine it with a 4V Cleveland. That is cool. What are those heads?

Imagine it with a 4V Cleveland. That is cool. What are those heads?
They are Air Flow Research small block ford cnc ported heads. Once I got the motor in the ball park it really ran well. It was barely running when I started. I must say that Is one ill mannered rude ***** but loads of fun to drive.

Hemi chamber, Canted valves with a center spark plug. How did they do that with a Windsor block? AFR SBF heads are wedge..do they make a hemi head now or is this a Coyote motor head? Oops not with 2 valves...Interesting......

My high school girlfriend's dad bought a brand new one of those (a real one with a 427). He sold it in 1969.
A lot of people did not live to make their first payment on the original 427 Cobras. This car is stupid fast with the 351 Windsor.

Hemi chamber, Canted valves with a center spark plug. How did they do that with a Windsor block? AFR SBF heads are wedge..do they make a hemi head now or is this a Coyote motor head? Interesting......
Those are 5.7 hemi heads. I don't know how they got uploaded onto this thread. I tried to edit them off.

Gotcha. I was mystified....but there are Hemi heads for the SBF now.

Gotcha. I was mystified....but there are Hemi heads for the SBF now.
Amazing the amount of exotic stuff that is available to the average guy today. It really is the golden age of horsepower. That 351w had at least 400 on tap.

Hemi chamber, Canted valves with a center spark plug. How did they do that with a Windsor block? AFR SBF heads are wedge..do they make a hemi head now or is this a Coyote motor head? Oops not with 2 valves...Interesting......
SERIOUS STUFF,has happened with windsor heads,man... I love Cleveland's...,That 5.0 thing,got the aftermarket rolling,,,......

I rode in one with a nasty small block and have to say it was the coolest car Ive ever been in! And I have driven a lot of cool cars.
The whole experience being in the open and close to the ground was a rush! Not to mention you could almst reach down and feel the exhaust fom the side pipes.

What company retooled them in South Africa? Or used the original dyes....

Some cars demand that you know how to drive. The AC Cobra is one of them.
I read somewhere that only the best drivers could drive them fast on a track. In reality it is a terrible street car. The suspension on this one is very harsh. The spring rates are too stiff and the valving on the shocks is also too tight on compression. You hit a bump and you can wind up in the oncoming lane or in the ditch if you are not carefull.

-
Back