Yeakel Plymouth Dragster & Hemi Cuda 1965, Video

-

SpikeWills69

Live Free or Die
Reaction score
Here is a video that is really cool. Yeakel Plymouth Dragster & Hemi Cuda 1965, Mongoose Barracuda and some cool period music.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwuI034Q0PM"]Yeakel Plymouth dragster & Hemi Cuda in 1965 - YouTube[/ame]

Apologies if this is a repeat, but this is motivating and nostalgic all at once!:cheers:

Where was "Yeakel Plymouth Center" ?

My sis in law is married to a Yeakel, I'll have to send them a link to this video.

Yeakel was in LosAngeles somewhere.

There is a recreation of the dragster, I have seen it at the hot rod reunion events in Bowling Green, KY. and Bakersfield, CA. In Bakersfield they even had a 60s Dodge PU for the pushcar, just like in the video clip.

If you like vintage drag racing, you should check out the reunion events, they have a nice mix of old race cars in action and on display, it's like going back in time to the late 60s-early 70s. Also the facilities at Bowling Green and Bakersfield have a vintage look as well, reminds me of how it used to be.

Great film but FYI the music is the Stray Cats from 1979. I went to the sports nationals at Beech Bend in 1972 and didn't get back there until the first hot rod reunion and the track had not changed one bit. I hope it never changes, its a national treasure. I remember top fuel cars blasting off between those covered seats that are all of 10 feet from the edge of the track. You could feel it reverberating through you like a saturn 5 rocket.

I first went to Beech Bend in 77 for the Sportsnationals, didn't come back until 05 for the hot rod reunion, only change was much nicer bathrooms that were air conditioned!

Wow, very cool!!! I also love the vintage shirts and jackets, awesome stuff...I want a "Hemi Cuda" shirt too :glasses7:

Thanks for posting this :happy1:

I've been under that Champion bridge many times in the 70's in my '63 Valiant. The last time I was there was for the Last Drag Race Riverside had sometime in the 80's when they shut the place down. I was driving my '73 Duster then. God I miss that place.

I just got a news release today saying that all the court stuff for Fontana is done and there will be racing on the quarter mile real soon............

Russ.

-
Back