year breaks on 225 please

-

rbkt65

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
what i would like to know is how the years are broken down. i just got an 87 miser truck,225/4spd o/d and the motor is locked up. what years are best/easiest fit without too much hassle please? it has a computer and was an a/c truck with p/s. son wants it for some reason. it is missing a couple a/c brackets along with the compressor. wiring is a mess but i have a wiring harness from an 87 v8 truck that should work out. i see on a few sites that they list stuff for like 81-87. what earlier years would be a good substitute. /6 is all new to me. it has a 1bbl carb on it now but i might like to use a 2bbl on it if i put it together. TIA. rick w.

The 81-87 were the hydraulic lifter engines. From 68 to 80 were solid lifter engines. I start at 68, because prior to that, they had a small crankshaft register and you would need a different flywheel, so let's leave those out. From 76 to 87 all had cast crankshafts. Does that help any?

yes that helps. it appears that the motor may be locked up and they got rid of the a/c by throwing the compressor, pulleys and a few brackets away. it was a p/s, a/c stick truck. the wiring is a chit show but i have an 86 v8 under hood harness that should work. it has the computer under the fender, so that will also go away if i fix it. might also add a 2bbl as this is a 1bbl eng. that is a big help. thank you, RRR.

yes that helps. it appears that the motor may be locked up and they got rid of the a/c by throwing the compressor, pulleys and a few brackets away. it was a p/s, a/c stick truck. the wiring is a chit show but i have an 86 v8 under hood harness that should work. it has the computer under the fender, so that will also go away if i fix it. might also add a 2bbl as this is a 1bbl eng. that is a big help. thank you, RRR.
You will likely have to lengthen the distributor and alternator parts of the harness and possibly the ac wire or wires as well as the slant 6 is a bit longer than the V8.

that would not be a problem. i am used to the hot rodding part as you, i and most of the guys on here are. finding the a/c stuff may be hard as i see volaredon had ads on multiple web sites looking for the a/c brackets. probably try to find a volare, aspen, diplomat like car to get an eng, if needed, and the a/c brackets that are needed.

that would not be a problem. i am used to the hot rodding part as you, i and most of the guys on here are. finding the a/c stuff may be hard as i see volaredon had ads on multiple web sites looking for the a/c brackets. probably try to find a volare, aspen, diplomat like car to get an eng, if needed, and the a/c brackets that are needed.
What do you need as for AC stuff and what compressor did it have? I have a few things.

Send me a PM so we won't be breakin the rules. @toolmanmike already has more than enough work to do around here.

Yeah I found them on an 80 volare in the local yard of all places.
I do have an engine that might interest you. A running 1985 /6 that came out of my truck about a month or two ago. Stored on a stand in my garage since. Just short of 100k (the 1st time around the odo, too.)
Ran like a sewing machine, I just had a chance to pick one up that I built for (hopefully) a little more power. Mines a ling bed with a 727 so it needed a little boost even if only "to me".
I'm in NE ILL about an hour south of Chicago.
PM me if interested.

What do you need as for AC stuff and what compressor did it have? I have a few things.
On the later trucks if factory AC it would be the round aluminum style (sanden) comp.
If "dealer air" I've seen the same style as "factory"ac and I've seen the York ones like the old ford's of the 70s and many of the AMCs, would have had

You will likely have to lengthen the distributor and alternator parts of the harness and possibly the ac wire or wires as well as the slant 6 is a bit longer than the V8.
Yup that's what I had to do on my 85, my wiring was an "extreme" **** show as well, for starters the big "hot" off the alternator changed color and gauge 3x in the length of the/6 valve cover. Just twisted together and crudely taped, not even a crimp or wire nut (like I've seen some idiots do) one of these twisted connections was draped 1/2 " above the fuel line from pump to carb, with bare strands "escaping " the tape job..... It's a wonder this thing didn't burn to the ground.
I found a 84 D350 with a 360 in the yard that I pirated the wiring harness from and used that. Connection wise the only difference was 1 or 2 wires for the wipers that went thru the bulkhead were plugged in, in different holes in the bulkhead connector. I had both the 84 and the 85 wiring schematic out in front of me on the kitchen table, as I went thru that harness....
Now back to regular scheduled thread on differences in /6s year to year

-
Back