Yellow ooze!

-

68SRVIVR

Rick/'68 Barracuda 340-S
Reaction score
Just noticed a sticky, yellow/green
substance oozing from under the electronic ignition unit.
It's like "not fully dry" polyurethane.
It seems to have stopped and has dripped down fender well.
Any idea what is is...and is it a problem?
Pics attached.

Thanks,
Rick

Attachments

• 0625111546.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 260
  • 0625111545a.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 253
  • 0625111545.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 257
Thats the stuff they use to seal the electronics I'd bet.

Too much heat, looks like to me....is the car running ok?

It's the epoxy they use to "pot" the electronics in place. The end is near, sorry.):

I think it's a sign of our "third world" times. They simply do not use quality stuff anymore. I flaked out and went with a GM HEI module.

I believe Memike has experience with this, and a better way to mount the replacement so it doesn't happen again.

I think it is OEM...where can I get good quality replacement and how much should i pay?
thanks.

its the seal for the electronics, seen a few like this before, long as its running good, its not a problem (mechanically, visually it maybe) just make sure you carry a spare and the nessasary tools to change it if it does crap out on you

I have a orange box running around here you can have.. It should work fine. If yours is stock I believe its a slight step up performance box... I dont need it.

Cleaning the ooze I used a torch and scraper BUT that was on a car that I was stripping down for resto... I would think it would plug right in and be ready to go it has the plug to it should for some reason it is different.

.............There is 4 and 5 pin boxes.......the 4 pin uses a single ballast while the 5 pin uses a dual ballast.....the orange ecu is a 4 pin.......kim.....

Reminds me of that yellowish/green ooze that's cured with penecillin. I wouldn't know personally I just heard it somewhere. :-$:glasses2:

Box is toast or soon to be.

I agree to much heat. Check your grounds!!! Can't be grounded enough.
X2 take it off clean it put sum silacon (spelling)on it then put sum 3/8ths nuts under it to hold it up a little make a seprite ground wire to go on one of the bolts for xtra ground.and I allways run an extra box bolted next to it just in case.just trying to help....Artie

I had one puke on me also 68SRVIVR, I think my blue box was a cheepo and the gunk just melted out, I keep an extra ecu, ballast resister and a used coil with me at all times. all used and tested that they work :glasses8:
Remember that mine is a /6 car and I moved everything for easy access and away from the 190 degree engine.
I would remove the one you have and put it in a plastic bag and stash it in your barracuda for a back up if it still works good :glasses8: I used rubber washers under mine to let some fresh air flow under the unit and the aluminum plate is grounded REAL good, My daily driver 170/6

Attachments

• Getting%20things%20started%20to%20run%204%20barrel%20111.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 119
  • Axle bearing change 117.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 117
-
Back