Yet AGAIN more W2 360 talk

-

gagembassett

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So many of you have followed my posts on a 600 horsepower W2 headed 360 block I am in the process of speccing out to build. The engine will be going in the pictured 1983 Dodge D150 longbed that weighs 3,700 pounds and will be backed by a Liberty proshifted A833 4 speed transmission along with a properly built 8 3/4 rearend with unknown gears at the moment (I'm assuming 4.56, 4.89 or maybe even 5.13 gears) and my original plan, and still may be, was to keep the stock stroke of 3.58 inches along with 12:1 TRW forged domed pistons and rev it up to 7,000 rpm with a properly designed and ground solid roller cam from Racer Brown. Now for the twist in my thoughts from the original idea...... I am currently tossing around the thought of using the stock stroke 3.58 inch 12:1 domed pistons and putting them on a 3.79 inch stroke crank to do a HUGE bump in compression.... talking like north of 14:1 maybe even 15:1 compression. Now I'm tossing this idea around for 3 reasons. Slightly longer stroke to help produce torque faster for the 3,700 pounds it's gotta shove off the starting line, to help with that compression all along with allowing it to still rev to 7,000 with the mild length stroke addition and because with a .030 overbore it bumps it up to 386 CI which displacement always is a plus. I was in talks with one of my very very knowledgeable friends that has an old crank from the 80s that was welded and offset ground to 3.700 inch stroke to bring low compression factory pistons up to zero deck and we both talked for a while on this, he was interested in my idea which got me EVEN more intrigued to do it because if that intrigues him them I've made a break through LOL. Now I want your thoughts. Give me any and all of your feedback. Time for us big boys to talk the talk

Christine Picture 3.jpg

I lost you when you said you are using an 8.75 behind a 3700 pound 600 horse motor.
Thats gonna be a one night stand the first time it sticks

I lost you when you said you are using an 8.75 behind a 3700 pound 600 horse motor.
Thats gonna be a one night stand the first time it sticks
I have another good friend that is running one behind a 3,400 pound car with a 4 speed as well. If it blows then it blows and I'll go Dana 60. The rearend is not my priority in this list at all, I'd much rather focus my time and effort on the engine because a rearend is far easier to build and swap than an engine but that being said I did ask for all input so I appreciate yours

You must be really be in love with that truck.

You're so into the engine, power, specs, rpm, etc. Personally i'd find another home for that powerplant. Truck could make a fun "mild" bracket vehicle, but i'd never go that deep into a D series truck. Sorry, jmo.

You must be really be in love with that truck.

You're so into the engine, power, specs, rpm, etc. Personally i'd find another home for that powerplant. Truck could make a fun "mild" bracket vehicle, but i'd never go that deep into a D series truck. Sorry, jmo.
yessir! I learned to drive and drive manual in this truck at 5 years old. Sat behind a barn for 15 years before I pulled it out and did my first engine build and swap in it as well from slant 6 to mild 360 tha's pictured in my profile picture. Tons of fond memories with this average pickup now looking to write the next chapter with it :thumbsup:

I have another good friend that is running one behind a 3,400 pound car with a 4 speed as well. If it blows then it blows and I'll go Dana 60. The rearend is not my priority in this list at all, I'd much rather focus my time and effort on the engine because a rearend is far easier to build and swap than an engine but that being said I did ask for all input so I appreciate yours

i would swap it out now while its still worth something, before you break it the first time out it hooks.
Your building an expensive house, but not bothering to put windows in it

yessir! I learned to drive and drive manual in this truck at 5 years old. Sat behind a barn for 15 years before I pulled it out and did my first engine build and swap in it as well from slant 6 to mild 360 tha's pictured in my profile picture. Tons of fond memories with this average pickup now looking to write the next chapter with it :thumbsup:

So glad you saved it. That's a very nice truck. i'd be proud to own it. Good luck with the project, i'll follow along.

14/15:1 CR is going to need methanol.
The power increase for each point of CR increase is NOT linear. Going from 7 to 9:1 gives a far larger HP increase than going from 13 to 15:1. Really not worth it with all the complications it will add...

What length connecting rod are you planning on using?

I ran C12 with 13.5:1 wth W2 heads.
If you are planning on 14-15:1, C16 would be the choice. unless you switched to methanol

I switched over to methanol and won’t run gas again. Runs cooler and makes more power.

I ran C12 with 13.5:1 wth W2 heads.
If you are planning on 14-15:1, C16 would be the choice. unless you switched to methanol

I switched over to methanol and won’t run gas again. Runs cooler and makes more power.[/QUOTE

I love alcohol but I’m going to add something to your post from talking to people way smarter than me. Alcohol makes more power for most. And that is because the tuning window is bigger and more forgiving. For the go fast guys most prefer race gas and some won’t even touch alcohol.

Yep, I’m one of them that won’t use alcohol again. It’s not worth it.

The reason most go faster on alcohol is exactly what you say. The tune up window is much, much wider.

You can be so far to fat side of best torque that it’s silly and still make power. That’s it’s only saving grace.

Gasoline will make as much power, but you can’t just think your tune up is close.

As far as cooling goes, get a properly sized radiator and get the cooling system in shape. And the cooling issue goes away.

Small tube, small core radiators to save space and weight, slow turning water pumps and poorly designed shrouds won’t cool a Briggs and Stratton, let alone an engine making power.

You have to think and build in terms of the system.

And, since you have to burn 2.3-2.5 times as much alcohol as gasoline what do you actually save?? Not enough to make it worth the effort.

The only exception for me is a blown application. Then I use alcohol, because blown gas is just horrible to tune.

Methanol is definitely worth it. Like I said before, makes more power and runs way cooler. To argue this is silly.

O2 sensors are your friend with pump gas or race gas and egts are your friend with alcohol. I ran 9.80’s so easy on BP93 pump gas using this method.

14/15:1 CR is going to need methanol.
The power increase for each point of CR increase is NOT linear. Going from 7 to 9:1 gives a far larger HP increase than going from 13 to 15:1. Really not worth it with all the complications it will add...

Yep... there is a good thread on Speedtalk.com about this .

Methanol is definitely worth it. Like I said before, makes more power and runs way cooler. To argue this is silly.

Well, it doesn’t make more power if the gasoline tune up is correct.

If you have cooling issues, fix the system. I just laying out the facts of the matter. I was using alcohol in customer cars since 1984 and my own stuff starting in 1988. Id never use it again unless I was running a blower of some sort.

Lots of tuners are not really tuners. Alcohol covers their sins.

does the compression height on your pistons work with the 3.79" stroke and the 6.123" rods?
you're talking about using the current pistons you used with stock stroke right?
No clue yet but we're gonna find out LOL. But honestly if they don't fit then I'll just get a custom set of 14:1 of forged slugs made for the 3.79 stroke

In my opinion, if you build it 14:1 and put it on race gas or methanol you’ll use the truck once or twice a year, maybe. It won’t be a race car and it won’t be a street car. You should build it 10.5:1 and run it on 91 octane so you can enjoy the truck and if it doesn’t make the power you want there are ways to get there that don’t take the enjoyment out of owning/driving the truck.

Not to mention the amount of maintenance that comes with running any kind of alcohol fuel system. Including e85.

-
Back