Yet, another "B" car spindle question...

-

Revhendo

Master ACME Tech
Reaction score
Hi gang,
I have a question about "B" spindles on my 69 Valiant. I know they fit, and have no ill handling problems. Been driving on them for a few years now.
But, my question is this....
Do the late "B" spindles widen your front track?
Or, a better way to ask is,
Do the spindles move the wheels out farther?

I may have the chance to get 73-76 "A" body spindles, but just want to know if it is going to be that big of a difference....

Rev.

Hi gang,
I have a question about "B" spindles on my 69 Valiant. I know they fit, and have no ill handling problems. Been driving on them for a few years now.
But, my question is this....
Do the late "B" spindles widen your front track?
Or, a better way to ask is,
Do the spindles move the wheels out farther?

I may have the chance to get 73-76 "A" body spindles, but just want to know if it is going to be that big of a difference....

Rev.

What do you mean by "B" spindle. You mean off a B-body? If so what year?

I've heard the 73-76 "A" body spindles move out a little from a SBP drum or SBP disk.

73-76 "A" body spindles are the same part number used on 73-74 E-bodies. 70-72 E-bodies use the same spindle as 70-72 B-bodies. I believe the spindle dimensions are the same between both of those, but the inner bearing are just larger.

So, I believe if you have 70-72 B-body disk right now, the 73-76 "A" body spindles will not be any further out.

I actually meant the later '73-up B bodies. Over at Big Block Darts website, they talk about everything but track width. I would hate to have to take a tape measure to a car show. Getting my butt whipped for a measurement isn't alot of fun......

I actually meant the later '73-up B bodies. Over at Big Block Darts website, they talk about everything but track width. I would hate to have to take a tape measure to a car show. Getting my butt whipped for a measurement isn't alot of fun......

No track difference from the 73-up B (also FMJ-body) spindles you have now than the 73-76 A-body spindles. You're fine.

No one is going to take a tape measure to you front track at a car show either. Your car looks like a restified or modified car and with those classes mods are welcomed.

Looks like you car is set up for handling. I see a 1 1/8 sway bar and maybe 11.75 caliper adapters. Cool !!

Hey thanks for the compliment, coming from you, that really means something. I did set it up for handling and she does really well that way. You're right, big rotors on the nose, 11x2 drums on the back. Manual Master with adjustable prop valve. It does have the big sway bar on the nose, also. I am not happy with the mounting on it, so I am either gonna redo it, or I am going to change to a 73 up K-member when I do the 340 swap.
I recently raised it up and put Rallye wheels on it when she went back to daily driver status. When my Roadrunner gets back on the road more consistantly, she will go back to the Porsche killer setup.

Hey thanks for the compliment, coming from you, that really means something. I did set it up for handling and she does really well that way. You're right, big rotors on the nose, 11x2 drums on the back. Manual Master with adjustable prop valve. It does have the big sway bar on the nose, also. I am not happy with the mounting on it, so I am either gonna redo it, or I am going to change to a 73 up K-member when I do the 340 swap.
I recently raised it up and put Rallye wheels on it when she went back to daily driver status. When my Roadrunner gets back on the road more consistantly, she will go back to the Porsche killer setup.

Hellwig makes a sway bar to K frame adapter that is stout and will take care of your issues.

Just call Helwig at 1-800-HELLWIG or email David Wheeler at [email protected]

I don't see it listed on thier website as sold seperately, so just call them.

Pic of them on redfastback's car:

WideSwayBarAdapter.jpg

Oh that looks way better than the driveway killers that are on mine now.

Oh that looks way better than the driveway killers that are on mine now.

They still sit sorta low and they are out front.

I used to run 225/50/15's and I don't/can't run LCA bumpstops. I had those adapters and wide sway bar on my Cuda when I had a 68 K-member on it. With that setup the K-member would just thud a parking lot crub return. Not a scrape, just hit it dead on and stopped the car. I have some scrapes on the stock depth trans pan from those days.

Right now with the 245/50/15's lowest point of K-frame is 5 13/16" from the ground.

-
Back