Yet another build question!

-

Fochops

Reaction score
Ok guys so I have been researching quite a bit on 360 builds and have read that I should know other info when planning a build. So here goes.
8 3/4 rear with sure grip and 3.55 or 3.73 ratio
Tires around 305/35/18 (rear)
727 trans with B&M rebuild
Shortened drive line
Stock column shifter

My plan:
360 rebuild with stock crank, rods and windage tray. Factory iron 360 heads from a 1979 motor opened to 2.02" intake valves with a competition valve job. Bowls lightly blended and runners lightly cleaned up. TRW flat top cast pistons rated at 10. to 1 compression. Comp Cams Magnum hydralic 280 cam. This cam has a .480" lift and 280 degrees advertised duration. Intake is an Edelbrock RPM. Topped with a Carter TQ with .137 rear jets.
401 h.p. @ 5,400 rpm
420 lbs. of torque @ 4,700 rp

Am I on the right track? Thanks in advance!

BTW, I know there a million options out there, this is what I've chosen to go with. While I appreciate all opinions can we please keep on track to whether this build will be good with the given specs of other components. If the motor build is way off and not going to work at all then by all means guide me. Thanks again!

10 to one compression on open chamber iron heads might be a bit much for us amateurs.
Brian from IMM engines, or Mike from MRL or Jim (IQ52) could make that work, but it would gnat's assets splitting hairs acurate on pump gas. Do you guys only have 91 octane or 93? OR E-85?? it would work with that & tons of rejetting the carb.

i think most would recommend either the speed pro or KB107 pistons for your build.

they want to know purpose: street, track, street/strip, vehicle type to guess weight, and as much data as you can give them

you are on the right track (what kind of trw pistons) perhaps a higher than stock stall converter

Yeah I've been wrapping my head around the stall. Without knowing where the engine comes alive (RPM wise) it's a crap shoot. I'm guessing around 3000 stall. I have read the KB pistons are decent and am willing to drop to a 9.5:1 to perform better on pump gas (91 octane). It'll be built aggressive street. I'm going to build the suspension for cornering etc so maybe road track style but I want her to jump when I smash the throttle and let's not forget the ever so important burn outs! Lol

-
Back