Yet another header question

-

69stroker

Reaction score
Hi Im new to the site, would like to get input on the size of headers I should use on a stroker I am building. It is a 416 with steel 4.00 crank, H-beam rods, 10.5-1 Diamond pistons, Hughes Iron Ram [email protected] lift, Hughes hyd. flat tappet cam .592 int. lift,.606 exh. lift w/246 dur., fully ported and port matched to heads M1 single plane, 750cfm Holley/Quickfuel double pumper supposed to flow more like 830cfm, 727 auto and about 3400 stall conv with 3.91 rears. Are the TTI's and Doug's the way to go or should I go with something else? Thanks for any input on any of this combo!!!​

Is this an all out race car or street/strip??..i personally run tti's on my 416 street/strip duster with great results and the fit/finish is excellent..good choice in pistons Diamonds are one of the best on the market,as far as your carb i'd go bigger,i'm running the quickfuel 850 on my motor with a dual plane,your running a single plane with a lot more cam then me and you'll benefit from a bigger carb..just my .02...

I have heard that TTI is coming out with 1 7/8" headers for the standard type exhaust port. They aren't on their web site, you would have to call, but they are supposed to be coming out within the next two months or so. They would work well on that stroker.

It is a street/strip motor, thanks for the heads up on the carb and info on the TTI's I appreciate it!

Stroked340 just curious what cam and car are you running what 1/4 mile times you have?

Hey 69stroker if you dyno yours let me know what it does. I'm curious cause that's almost the same as I'm building right now. Same cam. Same heads. Only I have Wiseco pistons @ 10.1 to 1 comp. Edelbrock Air-gap. 800 Holley. I just called the machine shop today cause he was supposed to have it done this week but still don't have it and said it'll be about 2 weeks more.:angry7:

Hopefully I'll get it back in time to get it together and race a few runs this year.:bootysha:

Is this an all out race car or street/strip??..i personally run tti's on my 416 street/strip duster

stroked 340: Do you have any photos of your Duster? Sure would like to see it. What 1/4 mile times are you running with it?

Fishy68-It will be dyno'd at some point not sure exactly when. I am having it all put together at a local race engine builder it is kind of on the back burner there as it is some what of a small fry there compared to what he usually builds which is ok with me cause im not in a hurry for it, still trying to get the body ready for the engine! I will be sure to post the numbers when I find out but surely it will make 475 at least I am really hoping for more but could be wishful thinking! Almost think I should have gone bigger with the heads but its crazy how much the cost changes for a bit more hp's if you know what I mean! Also just wanted to say what an awesome site this is so much to learn just by reading all this info!

Fishy68-It will be dyno'd at some point not sure exactly when. I am having it all put together at a local race engine builder it is kind of on the back burner there as it is some what of a small fry there compared to what he usually builds which is ok with me cause im not in a hurry for it, still trying to get the body ready for the engine! I will be sure to post the numbers when I find out but surely it will make 475 at least I am really hoping for more but could be wishful thinking! Almost think I should have gone bigger with the heads but its crazy how much the cost changes for a bit more hp's if you know what I mean! Also just wanted to say what an awesome site this is so much to learn just by reading all this info!

Sounds good 69. I know what yo mean about the big price jump for the next stage up heads. Luckily I can do most of what's needed to get mine up there so I just bought the basic 2.02 valve heads. I just don't have a flow bench but I do know a guy that don't charge me allot to flow them. I think you'll make 475 easy with what you have. That's what I am hoping for at least. Yeah there's allot of good knowledgeable guys on here.

BTW: What rocker arms are you using? I haven't decided yet. Since they use the sb Chevy style there's a ton to choose from. Think I'll run a girdle too since the cam is pretty stout for single studs holding the rocker arms in place. I wish they used the rocker shaft style like the LA heads.

Fishy68- I am using Hughes part no. Hug 1538-16 rockers, they are aluminum roller tip w/guideplates and also spent the extra on beehive springs they are supposed to be good

I was running the Lunati "voodoo" .533/.552 cam in my 416 running 11.0's at 120 mph..i'm now running the Lunati .513/.533 cam in my 366 running a best 11.79..

DSCF0101.jpg

I was running the Lunati "voodoo" .533/.552 cam in my 416 running 11.0's at 120 mph..i'm now running the Lunati .513/.533 cam in my 366 running a best 11.79..
Nice action shot! Very respectable times. Also, looks like you're running steelies on the Duster. Cool!

Fishy68- I am using Hughes part no. Hug 1538-16 rockers, they are aluminum roller tip w/guideplates and also spent the extra on beehive springs they are supposed to be good

Thanks 69. I bought my heads from Hughes. I had planned on using their rockers too but I just found a ad on Craig's list for a set of comp Pro Mag NIB for $175 and it's close by so I may go with them. If that don't work out I'll go with the Hughes rockers. I haven't used the beehive springs but I've never heard nothing bad about them. If I can afford them I'll use them too. Have to see what the next month brings.

-
Back