yet another mistake on my 360 build?

-

screeminDemon

Reaction score
I bought a remanufactured, dual pick-up, "Cardone" distributor from autozone for $50. Sounded like a helluva deal. I'm converting to electronic ignition in my 71 demon. At home I discovered this dist has no vacuum advance on it. Is mechanical advance good enough?

This is my first 360 build, and its almost ready to install. Thanks for all your help along the way guys (and gals)!

PS - my 360 is relatively stock: stock pistons (my 1st mistake), but has big Summit cam in it (my second mistake)

yep it is indeed a lean burn distributor...although it will work and does have mechanical advance...will be best to get the right distributor for the car

Lean burn distributors have no advance at all, no vacuum or mechanical and are usually dual pickups. The way this sytem worked was all the advance was dialed in with the intitial set, usually around 10 -16 degrees. The actual advance was about 60 degrees. The lean burn computer let the advance out as needed, in other words it just retarded the spark and let it out as it saw fit. The second pickup was for starting the engine as with 60 degrees advance a hot engine would not start very well.

Since you didn't provide much info about your combination and my crystal ball is still broken what you need for an advance curve is going to be a mystery.

If you want something that is a little closer, order a distributor for a 1973 340 or 360. It will have the vacuum can, the weights and stuff, and possibly a plate that doesnt have too much advance in it. You will still want to buy the $5 light advance spring for it and maybe want to limit the centrifical but it's a better start.

wow i'm learnin somethin new..i've never played with them lean burn systems just chucked em in favor of standard electronic ignition

wow i'm learnin somethin new..i've never played with them lean burn systems just chucked em in favor of standard electronic ignition

For any performance application that is the thing to do but I was a dealer tech so we had to fix that crap.

The kit from the dealer here in Canada is 274.00. That comes with distributor, ignition box, wiring harness and ballast resister.

-
Back