Yet another...What would it be worth question....(duck and cover)

-

Backtobasics

Reaction score
I will TRY keep this one brief, since I tend to be a bit long winded.

Is there a market, and what would the value be?:

1970-1976 A body (preferred 1970-1972)

Old car made new....
  • magnum engine swap, with auto overdrive transmission, retain fuel injection. Engine would be stock, but detailed to the hilt, retaining PS and A/C, powdercoated bracketry, etc.
  • clean true dual exhaust, good flow, reasonable sound levels
  • 4 wheel disc brakes, off the shelf parts, basic suspension rebuild with poly bushings, sway bars, etc
  • refurbished interior with Autometer gauges in stock cluster, sound deadener, new carpet, supportive front bucket seats, etc.
  • Exterior would be excellent condition with quality fresh paint, cleaned up trim, etc. Engine compartment would be painted, detailed, and look awesome.
  • wheels undecided, either stock ralleye type configuration, steelies with dog dish hubcaps, Torque thrusts, or 17" max for modern look.
Basically, a "restored" A body, that is driver or better quality, that someone could drive on a daily basis, instead of resigning themselves to a Kia, Hyundai etc. Hit the key and go, disc brakes, modern drivetrain in Vintage body.

I know the market is crappy right now. I am directing this more as a daily driver versus hot rod, toy. People have to get to work, and this is targeted towards someone who needs a vehicle with EFI, Auto OD trans, disc brakes to get to work, but would rather drive a vintage mopar, then Toyota Corolla, etc.

Would you drive a car like this daily? What would it be worth as a turn-key car?

why don't you just make one for yourself, and when you decide you don't want to drive it to work every day anymore, then sell it?

I have a 1997 Ram that I drive daily. I need to hold on to it to transport the family in a pinch, should the wife's van go down. Plus, I love my truck.

Right now, a friend and I flip cars. Buy them broken, fix, and resell. We make ok side money, doing this, but I am tired of working on rinky dink cars.
I want to shoot a little higher, and turn out a classic Mopar, with modern underpinnings, that someone who is a bit of a nut like me, could drive on a regular / daily basis. I want to see an old mopar on the road, instead of the troves of cookie cutter FWD import cars...
I drive my dart several times a week, and it is /6 with carb, drum brakes, manual steering, etc. I can't image how much fun it would be with suspension rebuild, sway bars, disc brakes, fuel injection, power steering, etc.
I guess it would be a retro fit, of an old car with new technology. Chrysler does not have a mid offering, it is either Challenger, Charger, or Neon. How about a Demon, or Duster? This is my interpretation, but the modern amenities, but classic body. I am wondering what someone might pay for this retro fitted type of car.

I doubt many people would want something like that for the daily commute.
Everyone travels in different conditions. Add antilock brakes , traction control,
cruise control, etc., to meet the different needs.
If you're driving a Japfitzyu you really dont care if it gets knocked out of the street so you run with common "sosueme" attitude.
I dont enjoy driving a classic in heavy traffic and still wouldn't regardless of what crapola it had in it. Actually I probably like it less due to the "cashola" I had in it. My .02

no money in building cars unless theyre muscle resto,s. not many get back what they put in a nice driver.

I built just for myself but have gotten lucky a couple and I have ate a couple over the years but the ones I have now are not for sale. I know now how hard they are to come by.

-
Back