Yoke size

-

grassy

Reaction score
I acquired a yoke for my a-727 yesterday. We are upgrading our /6 '75 Duster to a 360/727/8 3/4 combo. I was pretty sure of what I read here that I could keep my drive shaft but probably have to lengthen it.

The dimensions seem to be off.

driveshaft-XL.jpg

Will the universal take up the difference in width or is there another small 727 yoke or do I need to toss my drive shaft as well ?

You input is always appreciated.

Grassy

depends on the spacing of the shaft , if it's wide like the yoke you get the joint that fits the cap holes and your in business , if it's narrow like the old yoke you get the conversion joint and the cross has 2 different length arms , one in each width , I just bought one on friday , it was a Precision brand with made in the USA in the forged part of the cross , I have the part number on the box at home if you need it and I found the OD of the cross is the same on both arms so you can mix and match the caps depending on your needs , I found that for mine both the shaft and the yoke needed the smaller diameter cap so I swapped a pair from the old ujoint that was on the yoke I took off when I pulled the 727 .

Looks like your 727 yoke is for the larger 7290 U-joint. You can use the conversion U-joint that Cannucky mentioned that is small pattern one direction and large pattern the other.

Looks like your 727 yoke is for the larger 7290 U-joint. You can use the conversion U-joint that Cannucky mentioned that is small pattern one direction and large pattern the other.
A 7260/7290 crossover u-joint should work.:D

It never occurred to me to ask but will the universal that connects my drive shaft to the 8 3/4...will that be different as well ?

Thanks
Ian.

If it's an original A-body rearend it should be a small yoke (7260). Bigger cars used the larger 7290 U-joint and it's possible a 3rd member with the large yoke could have been swapped in. The only way to know positively is to measure it.

That 727 slip yoke looks like a newer version and not a 7290, does that slip yoke have outside clips ? 7290 also doesn't measure 2.750 for its lock up dimension

Measure the cap, if the cap is not 1.125 it's not 7290 as i suspect from the picture, looks like 1330.

If you're shaft is 7260 and the slip yoke is 1330 you're going to be stuck with junk joints as spicer discontinued that joint, or have the weld yoke changed in the shaft if you need it shortened. If you have 7290 at the shaft and 1330 at the slip yoke you need a 5-794

-
Back