You learn something new every day

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
I was working on the 7 1/4 rear in my dart. At first I thought they were c-clip axles, couldn't find my service manual, but found my Haynes manual, shoot, I need a slide hammer. This would mean a trip to town and running all over, to spend $100+ for a tool that I would use once. I knew there was a trick involving a chain but wasn't sure. My dad came over and I asked him. He went to the shed comes out with a log chain, hooks it on the axle flange and whips the chain and out pops the axle. Woohoo! Just saved money and I now have a new trick in my arsenal. This is probably nothing new to some, but it was to me.

It depends on how bad they are stuck. I've pulled some by using just the reversed drum as a hand slide hammer. I've had others where a slide hammer about wore me out getting them out. If the bearings have run hot and swelled, or water gotten in, you've got trouble

Hell, I BUILD a slide hammer, I don't buy one!! Found one old one at a garage sale, but it's not for axles.

You can probably rent one, or borrow one from a local auto parts store. Most loan tools for a returnable deposit, now.

Yeah I thought of a loaner, but even that means a 30 mile (one way)trip to auto parts and then another trip to return it. Growing up in a rural area we learn to do a lot with makeshift tools.

I don't know. I like tools. Nuthin works like the right tool meant for the job. Used once or not, chunk it in the corner. If you need it, you got it. Cause I promise, while that chain trick works, you WILL run into one that it won't work on.

Probably watch for one on rummage sales, swap meets, or make my own. Because the chain trick is not something I would want to try with the rear end in the car.

-
Back