You never know whats under that new metal.

-

Oldmanmopar

Going left turning right
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
We bought this car a while back. When we looked at it you couldn't get to the side of the car there was Vinyl siding in boxes pile next to the the car. We saw there was knew floors in the car and the the quarters were solid but looked like they had lowers put on.

We got the car home and put it on the lift. WOW! What a waist of a good floor. Full quarters were installed the same way right over the original quarters. We took the floors out today to save for patches.

DSCN1143.JPG

DSCN1144.JPG

DSCN1146.JPG

DSCN1147.JPG

DSCN1149.JPG

DSCN1155.JPG

DSCN1156.JPG

DSCN1157.JPG

DSCN1158.JPG

DSCN1159.JPG

Always something waiting to be found...and someone doing hokey work.
Cool car, itll be real nice when you're done I'm sure.

Btw do you happen to have an extra steering wheel like the one in the pic you wanna sell?

So......someone welded in new floors over the old rusted ones? Why do people do such? I've seen that before. Do they thing the old rusted floors are just going to disappear?

That hole is for emergency beer can egress!

And yes rusty, the old floor will go away. Most of it already has!

:lol:

The stuff i found under body filler,i couldnt ignore it.
Brass,thin metal and cracks.
I couldnt leave it. And then started removing all the filler i found, all of a sudden it became a daunting task.

You got lucky. I'd rather find what you did, then have some hack and gasher cut the bad floor out and install the new floor like a jack *** would. You still have to start over, but you can use what they left.

Had a mustang on the hoist a couple years ago, looked like they took the floor out with an air chisel then welded the new one in on top. Nothing finished underneath,just a spray of undercoating.

I feel your pain brother. When I found a chunk of 3/16 stick welded to the inside of the bar crossmember I knew I was in trouble. Worst part was where they patched an NOS fender on top, riveted and brazed. Man, they hours I spent making it metal. Cause Lord knows, the AMD stuff doesn’t fit the notch.
B1EAC0F3-3580-47BE-B3A4-85376343A8D9.jpeg
9AD15B2C-1114-46DF-8E08-55B9122B0AE2.jpeg
A12E5D53-6276-4F4C-BA53-6081024DFEA9.jpeg
F5180644-35BF-439F-984B-9C7E6B8834E1.jpeg
BB2837A1-A7D7-4EDF-A086-56CC051E34D9.jpeg
014ADC22-492A-4B04-AF52-A09602F50627.jpeg

That hole is for emergency beer can egress!

And yes rusty, the old floor will go away. Most of it already has!

:lol:

Yeah but "I don't think" that's what the original installer was meanin. LOL

I feel your pain brother. When I found a chunk of 3/16 stick welded to the inside of the bar crossmember I knew I was in trouble. Worst part was where they patched an NOS fender on top, riveted and brazed. Man, they hours I spent making it metal. Cause Lord knows, the AMD stuff doesn’t fit the notch. View attachment 1715358551 View attachment 1715358552 View attachment 1715358553 View attachment 1715358554 View attachment 1715358555 View attachment 1715358556

"What did you do" to repair that brazed ared under the corner of the rear window?

I've seen new metal over old A LOT.

In fact, there was a company making full length quarter patches that were actually designed to be installed over the old. They were about 3/4" longer and would not fit if the old metal was cut off!

I've seen new metal over old A LOT.

In fact, there was a company making full length quarter patches that were actually designed to be installed over the old. They were about 3/4" longer and would not fit if the old metal was cut off!

That's just plain stupid. Rust will creep onto the new metal and there you go. Dammit. That's what you call going around your a$$hole to get to your elbow to cut a corner. lol

.....but they sold!

So......someone welded in new floors over the old rusted ones? Why do people do such? I've seen that before. Do they thing the old rusted floors are just going to disappear?
I paid a guy to weld floors in on the road runner and he refused to undo this very
same process of new onto rusty old

We have one in the shop now.

Had spray foam shaved with an electric knife in both quarters and then bondo and black primer over that.

Guy bought the car in the rain and it was dark also.

It only needs:
Quarters, floor pan, trunk pan, 2 door skins, deck lid, hood and roof skin.

Not bad for a roller.

SMDH.

Bruce

How much would you guess that raised the floor?

That's just plain stupid. Rust will creep onto the new metal and there you go. Dammit. That's what you call going around your a$$hole to get to your elbow to cut a corner. lol

LOL. It doesn't matter to the crooks who palm off **** work to make a fast buck.

We took the floors out to save them for patches. We have some real nice used floors. The rest of the car will go out back for parts after the doors and any bolt or parts come off. We are building the blue one which needed the the clip from the Notch.
The blue fastback is waiting for dual exhaust valance from AMD. The front is done now it needs Quarters and trunk extensions. They go on after Daves valiant gets a front clip and mini tub. There are two garages here but there is a 73 montego in one and that thing is like storing a Yaught . There is no reason to save the 68 we took the floors from it is bad.

The front fenders and doors are savable fenders are 69's

We are building a 68 just not this mess ,We got a mess we already started on

DSCN2827.JPG

DSCN2828.JPG

DSCN2829.JPG

DSCN2866.JPG

DSCN2867.JPG

DSCN2869.JPG

Steve 090.JPG

Steve 091.JPG

Steve 092.JPG

Steve 093.JPG

What's the condition of the drip rail mouldings off the notch. I need a decent set for my kids car.

-
Back