Young Guns Old School Tip #47 (Did You Know?)

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
Technology has changed quite a bit over the years and I read about guys needing to get valve springs and retainers off with the head still on the engine.
These days most use compressed air to keep the valves in place while removing retainers and springs.

In the "Old Days" we used to get the piston coming up just a bit before TDC and feed about a 8-10 inches of 1/4in nylon rope through the spark plug hole into the cyclinder, leaving a bit hanging out of the plug hole.
Then continue rotating the engine by hand until the piston pushed the rope up tight into the combustion chamber to hold the valves so you could remove the retainers and springs.
Works great for changing springs or guide seals.

When that cylinder is done, turn the engine back a little and pull the rope out and go to the next one.

In the OLD DAYS we used to replace fan belts without touching the adjustment bolts, just walked them on with a screwdriver .

Or without a screwdriver.
Just get the belt started on the pully and turn the engine over. :)
Done that on the side of the road before.

Or without a screwdriver.
Just get the belt started on the pully and turn the engine over. :)
Done that on the side of the road before.

OR.

Disclaimer: I do not recommend anyone try this!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQhfcdQf1QA"]The Original Fast Volkswagen Belt Change. - YouTube[/ame]

.............................These days most use compressed air to keep the valves in place while removing retainers and springs.

In the "Old Days" we used............... nylon rope through the spark plug hole.................

LOL!!!! Please take this for what it is

"These days?" LOL We were doing that 40 years ago.

"Old days?" Nylon rope hasn't been around all that long ya know.

This technique doesn't work all that well on flatheads!!!!

dnyh37.gif

brainblog040.gif

^
^^^
^^^^^
^^^^^^
^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^
^^
^^
^^
^^
^^
^^

:happy2::happy2::happy2::happy2: Forget watching the olympics....she deserves a medal!!

thats the way my Dad taught me to do it!!!! great tip!!!
Technology has changed quite a bit over the years and I read about guys needing to get valve springs and retainers off with the head still on the engine.
These days most use compressed air to keep the valves in place while removing retainers and springs.

In the "Old Days" we used to get the piston coming up just a bit before TDC and feed about a 8-10 inches of 1/4in nylon rope through the spark plug hole into the cyclinder, leaving a bit hanging out of the plug hole.
Then continue rotating the engine by hand until the piston pushed the rope up tight into the combustion chamber to hold the valves so you could remove the retainers and springs.
Works great for changing springs or guide seals.

When that cylinder is done, turn the engine back a little and pull the rope out and go to the next one.

LOL!!!! Please take this for what it is

"These days?" LOL We were doing that 40 years ago.

"Old days?" Nylon rope hasn't been around all that long ya know.

This technique doesn't work all that well on flatheads!!!!

dnyh37.gif

In a mood this morning are we?

Didn't know they made an A body with a flathead in it.:finga:
Do you shoot kids balloons for fun?

In a mood this morning are we?

Didn't know they made an A body with a flathead in it.:finga:
Do you shoot kids balloons for fun?

No but I DREAM of the day when I can launch a balloon full of say, acetylene tied to a helium balloon with a big long fuse. We all know where THAT would go. Or to be more correct, where I would go!!!

All kidding aside, that's a good trick. First time I tried this, I didn't know about the rope. That was around 1971. I've had this same KD tools compressor ever since:

41D8a1EOiKL._SS500_.jpg

As I recall I had broken one spring with my fairly new Sig Erson cam in the old 70 RR

No but I DREAM of the day when I can launch a balloon full of say, acetylene tied to a helium balloon with a big long fuse. We all know where THAT would go. Or to be more correct, where I would go!!!

Done that with 2- 50 gallon plastic bags.
One with oxy-acet mix, and one with helium and a six foot piece of model cannon fuse.
Cannon fuse burns @ 2 seconds per inch.
Lit er and let er go.
There were cops everywhere after that all racing up and down streets looking everywhere for where this hellish nasty BOOM came from.
One of my friends called that lived 13 blocks away and told me his dishes were all rattling in his cupboards.

All kidding aside, that's a good trick. First time I tried this, I didn't know about the rope. That was around 1971. I've had this same KD tools compressor ever since:

41D8a1EOiKL._SS500_.jpg

As I recall I had broken one spring with my fairly new Sig Erson cam in the old 70 RR

I have that exact same compressor.
Works great once you get the fingers between the coils.

I knew about the rope one and the belt one seems like common sense to me haha

-
Back