YOUNG GUNS! Sign In and WIN

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
names Ryan im 22 ive been into mopars since id say 9ish my dad isnt a gear head at all i got him into the passion of mopars it started when i went to my friends uncles junkyard all i remember he had a 69 superbee and a 70 roadrunner in a big pull barn i know the rr had a hemi in it not sure on the bee..i remeber b/c when i came home i would say hemi like himi.. up in rafters of the barn i remeber some other mopars and my friend tellin me they were hemi cars. when i saw that bee and RR i fell in love and never looked back..

my 1st mopar was a 1972 duster twister cloned into a 340 FY1 bought it that way bought right after high school,

then 2007 i bought my baby lol 1971 duster 340 EV2 matching #'s car,

and just recently couple months back bought a 1971 swinger 52,000 miles and a ton of documentation

Not sure if this is kosher but I am posting for two young guns in my family..Sarah, now 16 but when we bought the car, was 15 and Calum, now 14 but was 13 when purchased.

I am partially disabled so I tend to get religated to the keyboard :)

We are just ending up 5 years of Motocross due to many reasons but my health is one of them. When you have worked closely with your kids for 5 years, you just don't want to give it up...especially, if it is a good relationship. Both kids are October babies so they started school a year later so Sarah is only in grade 10. Both are 90+ students and are involved in other sports such as V-ball and snowboarding.

My background, as you can tell by my sig is British cars..I owned my MG b GT for 29 years..we started to talk about cars because where we live, you need one. I assumed that they would want a rice burner but was told point blankly that they wanted a muscle car. My only caveat was that I did't want to deal with rust. I started looking at series 2 bowties/pontiacs, and the older fastback mustangs..actually, I was liking a series two camero SS when they told me to stop looking at that..they wanted a Duster. I have no idea where that came from except that they said the *really* liked it's looks.

After a lot of looking, we snaggled on to an abandoned '75 project Duster that was owned by a Chrysler employee. the car had 33K miles on it..garaged and rust checked. Basically, mint and matching numbers with the build sheet in plastic. Plus it came with a lot of mechanical goodies. We bought it and decided just to run it thias summer ..that is, when we were not doing "bike" things..and decide what they want to do to it.

They have basically divided up the responibilities and areas and gone to work. I don't do a lot of the physical work but more like explain and point. From what I understand, we are going to have a very busy summer next year and I think the year after that and it isn't going to look much like it does now.

We took it to it's first car show (and met other FABO members) and Sarah came home with a pup tent..boy, was it cold that day.

We have had no family support from either side of the family..their thinking that we have allowed them to buy an old death trap and they should be piloting a honda..however, none of this phases them...and they have friends that enevy them for our close working relationship..

pics of Dusty (my name for it, not theirs)

http://yamigrl.smugmug.com/Cars/Duster-June-23rd/8666269_BbTyh/1/572286509_cCXe8

and some of the first car show

http://yamigrl.smugmug.com/Cars/Dartmouth-Mopar-Show/9732078_4PSdQ/1/658744392_Ca9xy

Ian.
Dad of Sarah and Calum MacKinnon

under 25? gewd deal. Well, I'm Eric. I've got a 74 Duster. I've got a start on a members restoration forum so i'll just post that instead of getting into the details all over again.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=21066

And BTW. I've got a WHOLE DAY OFF TOMORROW. My buddy and I are gonna finally get it on the road (hopefully). As soon as that happens I'll reward all your help with a video of the biggest, smokiest burnout that car has ever seen!

this isn't fair!!! my story sucks, but whatever here i go

my name is mike clarke. i'm 14 (15 tomorrow) and i have no mopar, or a project yet, mainly because there is no a-body's around here, i almost got a 75 duster"snake pitt" but it was too far gone, and well, i started getting into mopars when my dad restored his 70 duster, 340 auto, #'s matching, and i guess it just kept growing on me, but as of right now, im still looking for a mopar

I'm sure glad the winner isn't being chosen by the best story, because they're ALL great!!! Seeing what you guys have accomplished is simply amazing and the pics are too cool!

The list of swag to be awarded to the winner is growing in leaps and bounds! See the "Help CudaChick" thread for the latest update.

OH MY GOD i have to win lol god would those parts help me on my dart

Alright well here goes nothing. My story isn't as good or as long as some of yours, but I figure I will share anyway.

I'm 17 years old, 18 this coming march... anyway, I'm not going to make you guys bored with the same old story on how I got into the hobby, but I would rather tell you why I am building a dodge rampage of all things as my first project.

When i was in sixth or seventh grade, my godparents bought a 1982-83 dodge rampage so that my aunt/godmother could have a car of her own to take to car shows. My uncle was a GM man (olds) so it was a surprise to everyone when they got it. Anyway, my aunt LOVED this truck and one day when they were out driving, some woman blew a red light and hit the right front corner of the truck. It didn't look to bad but they called it totalled anyway and off to the yard it went. I helped my uncle salvage some of the parts and god knows what happened to it after that. Anyway, shortly after my uncle bought a second truck, this time a 1984 Dodge Rampage. This one was silver. Before he started to take it apart and get it ready for paint, as that was the first step in the changes that they wanted to make, he asked my aunt if she wanted to drive it. She said, "No, it's going to be the same as the other one pretty much so just start taking it apart." So he did. A while after this, during 7th and 8th grade, my uncle started to have some health problems and the truck project stopped. To make a long story short, my uncle got very sick and died in May of 2006. Well, my aunt tried selling the truck because she didn't want it anymore but nobody seemed to want it. People looked at it, and we thought she had it sold multiple times, but it turns out that each time they bailed out. Well, a little over one year ago I was talking to her about looking for a first car... and that's when we thought of it. There was that Rampage sitting in the garage, for a couple of years it sat there untouched, waiting for someone to help it. So... skip ahead... I buy it. This truck means a lot to me now... it's not much of a first project but it's different. I think I'm the only one in my town to have one. The best part though, isn't about how rare it is or how unique it is... it's the fact that I am finishing something that my uncle started. When i was younger, with the exception of my dad, he was a man that I looked up too. Now that he's gone, I get to finish this truck in memory of him....

I know the story sucked, and I know that I am bad at telling it, but this is more than a project. It's a rolling memorial to an amazing uncle, friend, father, and teacher. Anyway, I'm sure he's been laughing at me while I try and figure out this goofy little truck, but so far it's been a great time... and he'd be proud of me, no doubt.

100_0942.jpg

The year is wrong in that pic btw... I believe that was taken this year.

Hey all, I guess if you care to read it i will share my story with you, my name is Blake I am 23 years old and i like in Grandview WA. i have been on a hunt for a Valiant sence about 12 when a friend of my fathers stopped us on our bike ride with his freshly restored 64, long story short I fell in love, but at 12 years old there really wasnt any way i could even get one if I found it. when i was 15 there was a 65 2 door post across town (small town) that had been sitting for sale for a long time, it was white with red interior the owner had all the interior redone and a full exhaust system and brake work done he wanted $500 for it. I finally talked my dad into going over and taking a look at it and that day we saw it go by our house on a trailor. Three years ago I was looking through the local paper and saw a guy advertising a 66 two door hard top, a 64 4 door for parts, and a 65 two door post. so I had to go look at least and see what he had, my grilfriend (Aleshia) and I took the trip it was about 40 miles away and when we left i had found the car I have been looking for, I had to have it, so I was trying to think of anyway possible to get together $500 dollars for this 65 (which was hard to do with my job at the time) my birthday was about 20 days away and Aleshia decided that she wanted to buy this car for me for my birthday. So the next weekend we went up to pick up my new project put some gas and a battery in it and drove it home. it will probly never be finished but throught the years i have been able to swap the /6 for a mild 360, 3 speed to a 4, went through the front and rear suspension, brake system, added a 8 3/4 with a 3.91 sure grip, and last winter did a little body work and painted it black. Needless to say I still have the car and Aleshia (suprising cause for a while i lived in the shop) and love them both.

I have added picture for those who have made it through my long story.

It was this summer after it was painted and how it sits today.

Thanks to everyone and congrats to whoever wins!
FABO is an awsome forum for anyone building an A BODY!

valiant 001 (2).jpg

my name is mickey smith, im 1five (five button wont work) any ways lets start at the begging. well my dad said why not get an old muslce car instead of a honda (always glad i never got a rice bunner) well he sujested me getting a nova or elcamino (he likes chevy:angry7:) well i was dead set on getting a sixtysix nova with a 327. well we went to hot august nights (biggest car show in the aera) and well i saw some awesome cars there and when i was leaving a little old 71 dart was parked and i just stoped and walked over there and looked it all over it and was in love. so when i got home i started to research dodge muscle cars and started to like them even more. now my search switched from a nova to dart. i was searching and was seeing that most were decently priced so i was happy. i went to a website (forgot what it was called) and i found a 72 swinger, had a 318 and i wanted it! so i talked to my parents (and btw this car was in tacoma i live in clarkston if u guys know where its at) and this was the closest one so they called the guy and site un seen we bought it :profilel: well we had one of the local car sales men drive it over here on his car hauler and i started learning how to drive her. i havent really done much to it, it doenst need much lol.
some of my future plans are...
alterk front end
five.7 or a 3six0 stroker
mini tub
8 3/4
fix some rust and paint erither a deep forest green or sublime.

I'm counting roughly 16 stories but [email protected] has only received eleven (11) email entries so far. The winning entry will NOT be chosen from this thread but from the entrants who email me the link to their post.

You've all gone to the trouble of pounding out your stories and they're terrific!
But PLEASE be sure to follow all the instructions to be assured of a chance to win the Prize Package!

Keep them coming ...

I could sooo use all those parts!! and January 31st is 7 days before my birthday! that would be an amazing early birthday present! lol. I'll be crossing my fingers.

I'm counting roughly 16 stories but [email protected] has only received eleven (11) email entries so far. The winning entry will NOT be chosen from this thread but from the entrants who email me the link to their post.

You've all gone to the trouble of pounding out your stories and they're terrific!
But PLEASE be sure to follow all the instructions to be assured of a chance to win the Prize Package!

Keep them coming ...

Musta missed that... I will e-mail mine right now

I'm not exactly sure what to say... I never thought it'd have that effect on anyone but me, haha. Thanks guys

definitely does have an effect. you've got a reason to be in love with your car. the rest of us love our cars. but not for reasons like that necessarily..

if that makes sense. i don't know. lol

definitely does have an effect. you've got a reason to be in love with your car. the rest of us love our cars. but not for reasons like that necessarily..

if that makes sense. i don't know. lol

Made complete sense. This is just the only place I have ever touched people with that story. I've told it a lot to people at school and new people I meet and they just kinda look at me and go "cool". Anyway, I wanna hear some more stories people, so bring it on!

Made complete sense. This is just the only place I have ever touched people with that story. I've told it a lot to people at school and new people I meet and they just kinda look at me and go "cool". Anyway, I wanna hear some more stories people, so bring it on!

well those people need to learn some compassion!

and i agree! where are all of the other young guns. i feel lucky right now to be approximately 1 of the 11 people who have submitted their stories so far. i'm sure by January though there will be a ton more young gun stories

Anyway, I wanna hear some more stories people, so bring it on!
I'll have to add mine tomorrow, when I'm not so brain dead from staying up so late, haha.
I'm putting in a new gas tank tomorrow, so I'll have to remember to take some pictures. The only thing is dirty hands+my mom's new camera=trouble.

I'll have to add mine tomorrow, when I'm not so brain dead from staying up so late, haha.
I'm putting in a new gas tank tomorrow, so I'll have to remember to take some pictures. The only thing is dirty hands+my mom's new camera=trouble.

Yeah but when she finds out just smile and wipe it with your shirt... then hold it up and yell "all clean!!!!". It wasn't a camera but I did that with something of my mom's at one point and it made her laugh so I was off the hook.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing the story...

And Kelsey, Fred, glad I'm not the only one who stays up to late. All three of us need to learn to sleep.

Blah, I'm off topic... sorry CC!!!! I will stay quiet now until there's a story to comment on.

good to see another Mopar girl on here. i didn't know there were so many mopar girls on here. and young ones too. i need to find me a girl that's into mopars!

looking forward to that story tomorrow though!

So! i have a bunch of threads on here, some random,some funny, and a few following my last pinks race.
From the top... i live in a small town in southern california.
Took auto shop for 4 years in high school and only auto shop.. skipped out on math,science and so on to go up the the shop haha, In class i had a 70's dodge 3/4 ton we had donated to try and fix. over a few months i had it all fixed and ready to go back on the road and my shop teacher handed me the keys and said "you fixed it..its yours..." He handed me the keys to a nice old truck.... after that i was hooked. He also had a 70 dart swinger (probly were my dart fasination came in as well) after that a few months later when i rarley attended school anymore and i barley went my girlfriend told me she was pregnant. At the time i was 17 and working 60 hours a week as an electrician. So i went back to school after my son was a newborn.. working long hours and managed to graduate ahead of my class on honor roll.
Later on i tried to buy my shop teachers dart and he kept saying no... so i went and bought another and brought it up and showed him:thebirdm:
After that things slowley progressed due to lack of garage until recently i randomly went on the bakersfield racetrack site and saw the pinks all out entry form. so i filled it out for fun and then got a letter saying i was accepted and going to race.
Then i had an oh **** moment like i have 5 months to completly re-build my car for the race. as time passed .. i ran out of time. Working in the oilfield now and my son is 3 money and time is short for me and i work 16 hour days on average 5 days a week. But with the help of a few very very good hearted people and sponsors.... cudachick.... we managed to paint the car..twice (clear messed up), powdercoat all the motor parts (cudachick) and put the motor together,and get it running in less then 2 weeks....
We worked on it until 2 in the morning and then slept an hour or two and drove a few hours and raced in the sun all weekend!!!:cheers:
didnt win but still had a blast throwing it all out on the track as it was.
Now im currently looking at a roadrunner my friend has that i mite get so i can get more of a cruiser since the dart is going a little less street friendly.

That pretty much summs it up.. how it started.. were i am now... and there were a few things inbetween...54 dodge pickup i put together...65 dart i put together but no longer have those... all and all been a dodge fan all my life...
wouldnt restore or race anything else personally. Im just a good ol chrysler fan.
Corbin Hames
Oak View California.
20 yrs

Hi my name is joren and here is my story , It all started when I was really young my dad was not too brand loyal til he got a 75 dodge truck and then he was hooked and drug me in to it when I was about 7 he beat the guts out of that thing and it never stopped. so about 6 years later my dads buddy pulled up in this rusty duster and i thought it was the coolest car I ever saw so I told him if he ever sells to call me, two weeks later he calls and told my dad to come get the car this was about my 14Th birthday so we load up the truck and trailer and drive 2 hours to get this car and we spend three hours loading it . over the next few years we put quarters in it and got ready to do a spring relocation and found severe rust the entire rear channel was rotten this was my first car and I wasn't too savvy with any frame work, so the car set for a few years in a barn and a guy sees it and asked dad how much dad said he would have to call and I sold the car to this guy being a kid I thought it would be easy to find another. BIG MISTAKE and regret as well , about a year ago I saw a dart sitting with the windows down, I tracked down the owner and traded an old 82 dodge for it , when i get it home the vinyl top was taken off and the C pillar putty was removed , i cleaned up the metal and took out the windows finished up the pillars and now it sits in in my garage with a big block conversion and wanting glass and headers so here I am at 23 starting over again Knowing better than to sell this one so there is my story it all started with fire wood trips in a 75 dodge camper special p/u and that's what got me started
thanks for letting me share FABO
P.S. my dad was an import mechanic for 20 years lol irony????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back