Young guys at the auto parts store

-
Yeah stuff like that I just pull a car out of thin air. Tell them I need a carb mounting gasket for a 70 Coronet with a 440 and Holley carb or a big Chrysler....
Or just tell them Felpro 60123!

Yeah, my local NAPA is staffed with pretty good parts guys and gals. Some of them were around when the cars we work on were new. It really helps.

They also aren't afraid to get a book off the shelf and look, instead of relying on what the computer says.

I hate looking **** up on their damn websites. Gimmie the book any day! I do my best to find parts numbers before I even leave the house. My son is only 4, and I'm already training him to think and figure stuff out himself, unlike these spoon-fed dumbasses out there at parts stores.

Thing is, a lot of people don't understand how the computer catalogs work. You have to have a year,make and model to do certain things. Nobody should be expected to "just know" part numbers anymore. Example. Do you have any idea how many different U joint numbers there are for the 88-98 Chevy trucks? Just the half ton alone has about 10 different numbers that "it could be". Same with Honda brake pads. So I don't expect anybody to memorize anything anymore. Going into a store and gettin miffedjust because someone wants a make and model so they can get into their computer program is pretty petty. Give them a chance. Then if they cannot find a common part, you have a complaint.

Thing is, a lot of people don't understand how the computer catalogs work. You have to have a year,make and model to do certain things. Nobody should be expected to "just know" part numbers anymore. Example. Do you have any idea how many different U joint numbers there are for the 88-98 Chevy trucks? Just the half ton alone has about 10 different numbers that "it could be". Same with Honda brake pads. So I don't expect anybody to memorize anything anymore. Going into a store and gettin miffedjust because someone wants a make and model so they can get into their computer program is pretty petty. Give them a chance. Then if they cannot find a common part, you have a complaint.

This is it exactly. Specific year/make/model knowledge is way less important that problem solving, deductive reasoning, and being able to read between the lines in the catalog, whether is on the computer or paper.

This is it exactly. Specific year/make/model knowledge is way less important that problem solving, deductive reasoning, and being able to read between the lines in the catalog, whether is on the computer or paper.

I agree 100%. But how will the knowledge be passed along when all old guys do is *****, piss and moan because a young person doesn't know what a "Holley gasket" is. There ARE lots of different Holley gaskets, after all. If we want the knowledge to live, we should be patient enough to help educate the younger generations that there are more things besides injectors and turbos.

Guess some of us earned customer loyalty.

Our store had me, a retired wrench, a close friend of mine who's re-opening his garage, and a kid who knows diesels inside and out.

For me, it went the other way around. I had the most fun educating my customers on the in's and out's of how things work, why the part does it was does, how to properly troubleshoot before throwing money at the problem.

You wanted or needed a part? I'd get it for you. Hell, I second sourced from Summit and Jeg's for my customers. Trailer brakes? I'll get it. Piggybacks for your Freightliner? I'd get 'em. A carb rebuild kit for a Massy-Ferguson? How soon do you want it?

My customers were never told, "I can't get that," and I taught my employees the same thing.

I agree 100%. But how will the knowledge be passed along when all old guys do is *****, piss and moan because a young person doesn't know what a "Holley gasket" is. There ARE lots of different Holley gaskets, after all. If we want the knowledge to live, we should be patient enough to help educate the younger generations that there are more things besides injectors and turbos.

Not just the younger guys.

"I need valve cover gaskets for a small block Chevy," says the guy in his 50's.

"What year," I ask.

"Don't matter. They're all the same."

Oh, really?

Once you pop two different sets of gaskets down in front of him and point out they are both for a SBC, suddenly he's giving you a year.

Does your particular parts company have an extensive online database that mirrors your catalogue at work? I was talking to my local Napa manager recently about if they had stuff in stock that was not in their online database etc. and he said they have been clearing out the odds and ends for years to make way for more batteries, wipers, starters, brakes, etc. for the most common vehicles and shifting more towards online and special orders for everything else (like old Chrysler stuff). Do you see that happening in your industry?

Yeah, them guys piss me off too. lol But I find them the right stuff anyway.

Not just the younger guys.

"I need valve cover gaskets for a small block Chevy," says the guy in his 50's.

"What year," I ask.

"Don't matter. They're all the same."

Oh, really?

Once you pop two different sets of gaskets down in front of him and point out they are both for a SBC, suddenly he's giving you a year.

Does your particular parts company have an extensive online database that mirrors your catalogue at work? I was talking to my local Napa manager recently about if they had stuff in stock that was not in their online database etc. and he said they have been clearing out the odds and ends for years to make way for more batteries, wipers, starters, brakes, etc. for the most common vehicles and shifting more towards online and special orders for everything else (like old Chrysler stuff). Do you see that happening in your industry?

The NAPA near me is getting that way and some of the special orders have a shipping charge.

Yes, in fact, there are a LOT of things on our online site that we cannot get to or see on our store database, but the same is true of our database in that we have a lot that is not on the customer's site. We have the occasional online order, but not many. We may have done three last year.

The online thing is huge at my work. We have 486,000 suppliers around the world.

Yes, half a million suppliers. Around the world. That supply 540 branches (of our parent company and various subsidiaries we own) in north america. I can and have sourced parts europe, asia and the middle east. We honestly can't know everything. We just can't. With half a million suppliers you can't possibly know all their product lines and offerings. So quite often I will get a call from a customer, looking for something from a specific supplier I've never heard of before. So I will say "I've never heard of them but I can try and source it" And I usually get a snark "WELL they list you as a distributor" Then I kindly explain that with 486,000 suppliers around the world, I can't quite possibly know every supplier we have. This usually makes them understand the depth of my job and shuts them up. Not to mention that being in Canada, just because our American side is a distributor. Doesn't mean our Canadian side is. There are lots of contracts done by region/country that prevent that sort of thing. It's a highly complex world that the customer really doesn't know about or understand unless they work with us a lot, or have worked in this industry in the past.

Last edited:
I have a friend that worked at Advance. They have the books. Instead of looking now you hear IDK. I miss him working there. The last time I was in my local Napa they charged me $7 shipping to get a part from their warehouse to their store. If I'm going to pay shipping rather order online at a discount and have it shipped to my door. I usually get my stuff from RA in 2 days instead of 2 trips. The kids in the local stores around here are not much help unless you're looking for a gauge pod, neon squirters, or synthetic aluminum pedal covers.

As far as computer vs paper catalogs, it's all about using the right tool for the job. Some companies just print shitty catalogs. Some have useless web catalogs, some don't transfer well into the "standardized computer catalog format".

Put yourself on the other side of the counter. They say the same thing about us.
"Sir, close your hood. You have no business in a parts store. You have no business working on your car. For the good of all mankind, never attempt to work on your car again. Try letting your wife do it instead".

When guys give me a hard time for asking questions, I usually tell them, that I'm not just making conversation, that I actually want to sell them the right part on the first try.

i get some customers that come in and ask me for a part for a custom application. a few know what they have and some have no clue since it was bought from someone else that did all of the work then sold it after it broke several times. and sometimes i get a customer that comes in for a set of valve cover gaskets for an 80's something 350. it is in an older car but not sure the exact year of the engine. so i ask if the valve coves have the bolts around the outer edge or the center. and then you get some that come in and try to stump you with a trick question. those guys i usually get because the kids i work with can't answer them or find what they need.

OK, funny story. It's funny because I'm the dumb ***.
I'm in a hurry and getting plugs for a 440.
I run to the story and say they are all the same and make up a car.
Get home and the plugs have a gasket. They won't go in the engine.
The hole in the head looks funny but I'm rushing and it didn't register to me.
I'm thinking the computer system is screwed up.
I made two trips to Autozone and one trip to O'R before it dawned on me.
It's a motor home 440 and there might be a difference.
A few minutes online looking for chatter in a car forum. Yep. Different.
Damn it's a tapered seat plug.
What's that, Chevy?

Last edited:
Put yourself on the other side of the counter. They say the same thing about us.
"Sir, close your hood. You have no business in a parts store. You have no business working on your car. For the good of all mankind, never attempt to work on your car again. Try letting your wife do it instead".

And that is true.

I got cussed out over the phone one day because I didn't have donut gaskets for the union where the manifold meets the head pipe on an early century 360 powered Dodge truck. Tried explaining to the guy it's a ball and cup set up and there's no gasket. Of which I was told that I don't know what the f*** I'm talking about, I'm just another stupid parts guy, and a host of others. I was starting to get mad. So, I told him that he should put down the tools, lock his tool box, and pretend he never had it.

I got a call back from his wife apologizing. The guys at NAPA and Carquest told him the same thing. I told her I wanted him to come into the store and apologize to me.

Karli can testify that I get "that" look on my face. I was covering the closing shift. A guy came carrying in a brake drum for his trailer and two new bearing sets. He's been in earlier in the day and bought the bearings from a co-worker on opening shift.

"These are the wrong bearings," I was told as he pulls out the set and attempts to put it in the hub with the old race still in it.

Apparently, I'm not a good poker player. Karli said I got that look on my face that said, "you can't be that stupid."

I explained that the old race was still in the hub and how that needed to be driven out. He had no clue even as I explained it to him. I sold him the race and seal driver set and a punch. Took him to the back tool bench and showed him by driving out one of the old races and seating one of the new ones. He went on his way since he seemed to get it.

An hour later he was back. The other side of the drum he tried to put the race in with the old race still in it and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't go in all the way.

So, I set that one up for him, too. And then made the recommendation that next time he hire a professional.

The online thing is huge at my work. We have 486,000 suppliers around the world.

Yes, half a million suppliers. Around the world. That supply 540 branches (of our parent company and various subsidiaries we own) in north america. I can and have sourced parts europe, asia and the middle east. We honestly can't know everything. We just can't. With half a million suppliers you can't possibly know all their product lines and offerings. So quite often I will get a call from a customer, looking for something from a specific supplier I've never heard of before. So I will say "I've never heard of them but I can try and source it" And I usually get a snark "WELL they list you as a distributor" Then I kindly explain that with 486,000 suppliers around the world, I can't quite possibly know every supplier we have. This usually makes them understand the depth of my job and shuts them up. Not to mention that being in Canada, just because our American side is a distributor. Doesn't mean our Canadian side is. There are lots of contracts done by region/country that prevent that sort of thing. It's a highly complex world that the customer really doesn't know about or understand unless they work with us a lot, or have worked in this industry in the past.

And that's the truth.

My dad talks about one of those famous parts guys he dealt with back in the '50's who could identify the part and just walk to the shelf and pull one for you without having to get in the book.

Pop, that was back when there was maybe 10,000 part numbers in the warehouse and the guy might have 1000 part numbers in his his store.

Now, I have 10,000 part numbers in the store and a million in the warehouse.

Honestly the only part number I can remember is BWD E5P. It's a six volt coil. The only reason I know that is because I sold a bunch to the farmers in the area.

back years a go I lived in n w Mo. there was a NAPA dealer that had the store all his life/
sold auto/tractor/anything automotive. he had is own store driver that made 2 -3 trips the 100 mi round trip, to Kansas city e very day picking up needed ordered customer's parts. there was no " we will have it in a day or 2"! now that is serious commitment?
he had counter guys that had worked there each for many years. most knowledge bunch of people I have ever encountered. didn't matter if a Ford 8N tractor, 69 roadrunner, or new vehicle!!!!!!

-
Back